The Ukulele Way - Book 1 - Lesson 9 - Roving Gambler

Close to a month ago, I signed up for The Ukulele Way, the online course with James Hill as the primary instructor in the videos. On this website, I've basically started from the very beginning: Book 1. There are about six books, each containing about 9 or so lessons and I've reached the end of Book 1, the final lesson where we play the song "The Roving Gambler". I've never heard of this song prior to this lesson so I relied not only on listening as James played the song but relied on reading the sheet music provided.

I recorded a video of me playing the song and would like some feedback on my overall technique. To set the right expectations, I've only been seriously practicing for about a month and a half to two months: so don't expect too much. But I'd like to know if there's anything obvious that I should be fixing. For example, I was told (at my most recent private lesson) that I was alternating between my thumb and index finger while playing scales and that I should, instead, stick to just the thumb. So, advice like that.

I'd post your video on The Ukulele Way community too. You'll probably get more focused feedback from members who have already worked through the song.

Main thing I see is that your thumb is curling over the top of the neck more than it should. Doesn't make a huge difference for a song like this where you stay in one position, but when you begin having to shift around or make harder chord changes, it will make a huge difference in how easy you can get around the fretboard. A general rule of "thumb" is that your thumb should be behind your index finger and the tip should be just poking over the top of the neck.

A general rule of "thumb" is that your thumb should be behind your index finger and the tip should be just poking over the top of the neck.

Thanks for the feedback Hippie Guy. After hearing your feedback, I attempted replaying the song without curling my thumb over the neck: feels so different. The advice makes sense, especially since I'm learning all the different chords shapes that are difficult to form with the thumb overtaking the neck.

I've been an UW member for about 18 months. Also, both of my kids have completed Book 1 and Book 2. So....quite honestly, in our house we are sick of hearing Roving Gambler (not to mention 2 versions of Shortnin' Bread) ;)

Sounds like you're getting good tone from your thumb. To me, my thumb picking and strumming sound dead, and by the end of Book 1 I switched from thumb to index finger.

I feel like timing is something I always need to work more on.

Good job.

Top Bottom