does music heal your pain ?

gilles T

Reaction score
...Most of the times.
And sometimes not.

Your answers ?

Physical pain? Psychological pain?

Physical pain, at least for me, probably not. (Unless relaxation is what the doctor ordered.) Phychological pain, maybe so. I believe that whatever music one is attracted to touches one's psyche if not their soul in some kind of manner . I know that there's music that I can love at times yet be totally turned off to at another. I don't know that music can heal my pain as much as it might calm me and get me into a frame of mind that I might properly deal with that pain. I know that there have been times of pain that I've intentionally avoided listening to music so as not to ruin that music for me by somehow forever connecting that music with the pain that I wanted to avoid or to get past. I do believe that music touches us on a conscious as well as an unconscious level and that it can feed into any number of our emotions. That's why the appreciation of any genre of music is such a subjective thing and can vary so much from one individual to another.

Last edited:
Music doesn't heal my pain, but it does take the edge off of it.

Helps with sobriety too.

Being a member if The CC Strummers and rehearsing twice a week is my way of relieving the stresses of being an apartment manager, and especially from having a 96 year old controlling and manipulating mother who doesn’t know the meaning of boundries (I’m with her now, and is why I’m bringing it up).

Also, a few of us play for ailing children at UCLA/Mattel Children’s Hospital and give them ukes via The Ukulele Kids Club every few weeks, which seems to ease their pain. In fact, this past Wednesday when we played for a four year old, the music therapist told us it was the first time in the two weeks since he was admitted that he had a smile.

Also, a few of us play for ailing children at UCLA/Mattel Children’s Hospital and give them ukes via The Ukulele Kids Club every few weeks, which seems to ease their pain. In fact, this past Wednesday when we played for a four year old, the music therapist told us it was the first time in the two weeks since he was admitted that he had a smile.

Very cool, Mike. Way to go. I'm meeting with Corey's local liaison Sunday to discuss UKC and TBUS's upcoming relationship.

I've studied Music Therapy for several years. I was hospice's first Certified Music Clinician. I was also a pain expert. It is difficult to separate physical pain from emotional pain, they are so tied together. I can tell you that music of any kind had little or no effect on severe physical pain. That was when I held their hands and spoke encouragingly to them, while the RN would hook up a pain med pump. Music did help a lot when there was emotional pain, fear of dying, or nausea. It didn't matter whether the patient was awake or in a coma. It still helped. And mostly, it helped the family members and loved ones.

Music is about expression. Expression helps one cope w pain.

I think music can distract us a little from the pain - maybe take our mind of it for a little while.

Music doesn't heal my pain, but it does take the edge off of it.

Helps with sobriety too.
Not for me. Well, I guess it depends on what constitutes sobriety. But I generally head out every afternoon to the back porch with my ukulele in one hand and a rum and coke in the other. It has almost become a ritual since I started playing it. As far a pain, I am blessed to live pretty much a pain free life. I mean, I have some aches and pains from old age, but nothing chronic or debilitating. But if I am under the weather, so to speak, as I am now with a bad cold, playing my ukulele takes my mind off of it.

Yup, but often just for some time

Top Bottom