Fender Montecito Tenor Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Wonderful review as usual Baz.

I agree with you on the tele headstock being an eyesore on a uke.

The sound is nice to me. The low-G seems a bit stronger than the other strings though.

Thanks for this review.

Several years ago I bought the Fender Nohea, pretty much the same tenor uke but all laminate koa. At the moment I thought it sounded really well, I still do. That one was beautiful (despite the headstock and the pitiful gig bag), great sound, and great intonation. It had a Nubone compensated saddle with Aquila strings (low G). I just liked so much how it sounded that I haven't tried any other string on it yet.

I wonder if the sound of this new version (Montecito) is any significantly different from the previous one (Nohea). My wife gave me the old one so I don't really want to get rid of it, but if I could just "upgrade" to this one she might not notice it's a different one ;-)

Regards

Eugenio

Last edited:
Well I do have to agree that the headstock shape looks out of place on a uke. BUT, the Fender headstock design is functionally superior to most in that the path from the nut to the tuner is a straight line. That probably doesn't matter on a uke with low tension strings that you don't bend much. But on a guitar it can make quite a difference. Just ask any Gibson owner how much trouble they have keeping their G string in tune!

Curious about the quiet tone. I played one in a store awhile back and didn't notice that, but it was noisy at the time so I couldn't really tell. Beautiful finish on that Fender though.

@besley

Oh absolutely - the functionality of the headstock is not in question at all. I also get that some people actually like the look of it. My gripe is purely a personal one of aesthetics.

Volume - not REALLY bad - just kind of left me wanting it to have a bit more. Very sweet tone though

Greetings Bazmaz

I want to add a bit to the conversation (not hijack the thread). I'm adding to this thread as the comments in your website and youtube have focused too much on the headstock.

I asked before about the different between this Fender Montecito (solid koa) and the previous model, Nohea (laminate koa), which I have. After watching/reading your review, I just couldn't pass some discount in Reverb and got myself a Montecito (without my wife knowing about it )

My Nohea was one of the first ukes I had (my first $100+ uke) and I've always been very happy with it. It sounds great (but also not loud), beautiful wood (laminate, don't know what's below the koa veneer), and although I wasn't too hot for the telecaster headstock, I learned to not dislike it.

Now my comparison in the points where they differ (They're so similar, that Basmaz' review is equally valid for both of them):

Sound (I guess the most important variable):
- I must say that I don't find much difference. I do hear/feel some extra resonance (chime?) in the Montecito. But really, if anybody has already the Nohea, I'd say that the improvement is not that great. I really wanted to hear some significant difference, but, with the hearing I have, it's a very subtle difference, and I wonder if it' more wishful thinking on my part. Maybe some more educated ear can hear more notable differences, but I can't.
- Still, I must say that I like a lot the sound of both of them with the Aquila strings they came with (I haven't changed the ones in Montecito, and I replaced the Nohea's strings for another Aquila).
- Nohea's original string was a high G Aquila set, Montecito low G.

Construction, looks and finish:
- They basically look the same. The wood looks different. My Montecito is lighter in color and less "showy" that my Nohea, but I guess that's the natural variation of wood materials you get. It could be that Fender is also using the cheapest koa it could find to produce these solid ukes at this price.
- The Montecito has heel cap and the Nohea doesn't.
- The bridges are the same, but the Nohea included a Nubone compensated saddle, which, I think, contributes to an excellent intonation (one of the reasons I bought it in the first place). The Montecito has an uncompensated bone saddle, and the intonation is not as good as the Nohea (I'm not saying it's due to the compensated/uncompesated saddle only, but it might be a factor).
- The linings inside (at least for the back; I can't see the top lining) are different. The Montecito linings are solid, while the Nohea's are kerfed.

Gig bag:
They both suck, but the Montecito's bag sucks even more. While the Nohea's bag had some level of cushioning, the Montecito's has none!

In conclusion, if you have a Nohea, don't sweat too much about the Montecito (unless you're stupidly obsessed as me with solid soundboards), they're basically the same and at the same, new, price (~$250).

I hope this helps somebody in the future to make up his/her mind.

Eugenio

Greetings Bazmaz

I want to add a bit to the conversation (not hijack the thread). I'm adding to this thread as the comments in your website and youtube have focused too much on the headstock.

I quite agree! - I said in the review that it's just not for me (it isn't - thats a personal thing, my view isn't going to change - but it really doesn't matter). Some people responded like I insulted their mothers... I liked the uke, but on occasion people can get very weird about other people's reviews.

I think it comes down to people not wanting their own views seemingly being challenged. And they are not really - any review by anyone is just that persons personal opinion.

Yet people take it as a personal attack as if the review was written specifically JUST to annoy them. It's crazy.

Still - you are right - it is fun. I really wouldn't carry on doing it after 8 or 9 years if it wasn't!

Best

Baz

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have a question...

Just recently purchased a Montecito and I really like the sweet voice. It’s not super loud, but it’s certainly a step up from the Makala Waterman I was using before so no complaints here. It’s certainly sufficient and candidly, I appreciate the low G and the tone a lot. I played a Lanikai quilted maple uke as well, and found it to be far too bright for my taste. :)

However—I agree the case is pitiful. I want to replace it, but does anyone have any insights on which case will fit? I’m assuming the longer headstock might cause an issue. I’d like to either do hard foam or wood.

Failing finding a case that fits, I may just resign myself to adding hard foam and velvet to the current gig bag. I can’t stand having zero protection for my uke.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Top Bottom