Season 294

AlanDP

Reaction score

Seasons of the Ukulele 294 Introduction

This week's theme may be a complete disaster, but I've been wanting to give it a go and see what happens...

This week the theme is STRANGE PHENOMENA.

Songs about...

Paranormal stuff

Cryptozoology (Bigfoot/Yowie/Yeti/Mokele Mbembe/Thunderbird/Nessie/Ogopogo/Dogmen/the Mothman/Spring-Heeled Jack/Jersey Devil)
- a guy named Lenny Green has written literally dozens of songs about Bigfoot

Mental powers (ESP/telepathy/clairvoyance/deja vu)

Forteana (weird stuff from history as chronicled by Charles Fort)

Fairies/Wee folk/Daoine Shide/The Wild Hunt/Goblins, Brownies and their ilk - should be no problem finding songs about the Fair Folk

Extra-Terrestrials/UFOs/Missing Time/Alien Abduction - probably lots of songs about this, too

Ghosts/Hauntings/Undead/Possession - ghost stories, lots of those!

Spontaneous Human Combustion - there is definitely one song about this

Things that fall from the sky without an obvious explanation

Synchronicity/Premonitions/Dreams that later actually come true

Orgone/Cloudbusting - definitely at least one song about each of these

Doppelgängers (someone who appears to be someone you know but behaves strangely)

Ghost lights/will-o-the-wisps

Lost and forbidden cities

Any songs that are about real people who have been associated with strange phenomena (Charles Fort, Wilhelm Reich, Count Saint-Germain), including the flim-flammers and con artists, as well as the people who busted them.

Or any skeptical songs about how this stuff is just a bunch of bunkum.

I'm sure there are other things that could be called strange phenomena. This is just an example list that I thought of.

Covers and originals. Originals encouraged! Write a song about that weird thing that happened to you once. You know what I'm talking about.

Multi-tracking is good, or just play and sing, either way.

Usual start and stop times. No song limit.

Playlist of the Strange

Last edited:
This sounds most intriguing, Alan! Are we allowed to be purely subjective about this - I mean things that seem "strange" to some people might appear perfectly normal to others? In any case, I think you've given plenty of scope with your suggestions ... not that I can think of one song at the moment which fits any of the themes you have suggested!

This sounds most intriguing, Alan! Are we allowed to be purely subjective about this - I mean things that seem "strange" to some people might appear perfectly normal to others? In any case, I think you've given plenty of scope with your suggestions ... not that I can think of one song at the moment which fits any of the themes you have suggested!

Yes, I understand. Anything paranormal, or that which falls outside the bounds of what most people believe to be normal reality (which is also subjective). Just PM me about anything specific song you might want to do if you're not sure. You might have to do some research! Just have fun with it and don't take it too seriously.

Great theme. I can think of a few. Lots of Child Ballads deal with the supernatural.

Last edited:
Brilliant! I can feel the creative juices flowing already.

Boooooooo!

Interesting week to come back to. X3. Love me some paranormal/occult shenanigans (though I'm ashamed to admit my lack of song knowledge for the Jersey Devil, despite being a Jersey native.) Since I actually have a reliable computer again, might actually be able to contribute, not just lurk and enjoy this time around. :) already have a song or two in mind.

I wonder if 'hearing voices' in your head or just-barely sub-audible whispers that nobody else around can hear would qualify as paranormal? or signs of mental illness...I know of a few songs like this...not sure if they would qualify.

This is going to be an interesting week for sure. Time to get out the Ouija board, Celtic Runes and Tarot Cards...:uhoh:

Here's one that definitely fits the theme. Had a lot of fun saying it, and it's my first Seasons vid with my new Snail uke!

And here's one that might stretch the theme a little but it's the first song that popped into my head when I saw the theme last night.

True story in this silly little paoriginal.
We lived a year in Canada in 1995. We were based in Kamloops BC.
We visited Vernon and Kelowna a couple of times and skied at Silver Star Mountain.
We did go to Lake Okanagon just to see if we could spy the illusive Ogopogo.
Oh they do have some wineries in that region too....

Last edited:
I wonder if 'hearing voices' in your head or just-barely sub-audible whispers that nobody else around can hear would qualify as paranormal? or signs of mental illness...I know of a few songs like this...not sure if they would qualify.

This is going to be an interesting week for sure. Time to get out the Ouija board, Celtic Runes and Tarot Cards...:uhoh:

Yeah, I think that's a symptom of schizophrenia. Something that should be diagnosed by a competent professional, anyway. I thought I had "disembodied voices" on my list. I must have edited that bit out for some reason. Or maybe that just happened in another reality...

Last edited:
Here’s my first of the week. What a spectacular theme. Thanks, Alan!

Here's a David Allan Coe rocker that kinda fits this week's theme. Nowhere near a perfect take, but I was having fun here so I kept it.

"(i'm always touched by your) presence, dear" by blondie

according to the rather excellent songfacts website, this was written by blondie's former bass player, gary valentine, for his then girlfriend, about the telepathic connection they seemed to have between them - when he was on tour they'd discover they'd been having the same dreams

Cool Theme, I don't know if there's many songs I can play, but there's this one ... it's a song originally written by Stan Jones around 1949, and has also been done by numerous performers since, including Johnny Cash, "Ghost Riders in the Sky" ...
I sometimes like to play this with my Guitar, and thought it would be worth a crack with the Uke for Season 294.
I've used a Concert scale Uke with low G tuning for this song ...
I hope you enjoy the song ... Yippiyiyo Yippiyiyay

Top Bottom