Season 294

I’m not sure what I was thinking with this one. It was pretty much vocal suicide. Luckily, I gave up any dignity I had, long ago. Also, E decided in the middle of the song that she REALLY needed me to open her play-dough for her.

This was the first song I thought of when I saw the theme. It’s such a strange one.

Had all sorts of trouble with the video to this, but that's just down to my inherent buffoonery, so no excuse. This song is an example of what I like about the seasons. When I got up this morning I hadn't even heard of this song but I stumbled upon it whilst searching for suitable numbers and now I've not only heard it, but performed it, recorded it and put it out there. The accompanying drawing is frankly pants, but I had to get to the pub, so no time for enhancements.

Great theme, Alan!

Might as well break this one out early. I've tried but failed to play this passably since I picked up the uke. Yesterday I figured out how to get the vocals somewhat in sync with the playing: strum it straight on, forget mimicking the syncopation WZ used. (He was a classically trained, professional musician, after all.) I hope it worked.

Here's a song I found about Charles Fort. It was on a forum somewhere and the guy who posted it didn't leave his real name.

Thanks for all the songs so far. I was worried this theme might be a real disaster, but it appears to be doing okay. Thanks again!

lyrics:

Charlie thinks that science hides the data that don't fit
Calls it his "procession of the damned"
Writes his books for boffins he's determined to outwit
Consensus is the thing he cannot stand

He digs up cases
Where things didn't pan out right
He's going to set
The scientific world alight

Gathers up his evidence and puts it on parade
Challenging the dogma of the day
Convinced the life we live is just a clumsy masquerade
And all we know is simply shadow play

He know's we're property
Of beings more advanced
And world events
Are never due to circumstance

Iconoclasts like Charlie want to pull aside the veil
Show us what it means to be alive
And all the while berating us and telling us we fail
At adding two and two and getting five

He treated expertise
With broad contempt and fear
It's Charlie's world now,
We're just living here

paoriginal
I have to admit that a Yowie often drops in for a chat and a beer when we go camping at our favourite spot in the bush..
You believe me ..right?

Last edited:
I figured this was probably one of the songs Alan was hoping for -- it includes synchronicity and the Loch Ness monster. This is a Police cover.

I figured this was probably one of the songs Alan was hoping for -- it includes synchronicity and the Loch Ness monster. This is a Police cover.

As a lifelong fan of The Police and their solo projects, this was the first song that came to mind after seeing the details of this week's theme.

If you've never read "Synchronicity – An Acausal Connecting Principle" by Carl Jung, it is definitely worth it, not only because it explains the backdrop/inspiration for Sting writing both 'Synchronicity I' and 'Synchronicity II' (Sting has said as much in MANY interviews), but also because it can help add to our understanding of 'reality'.

Thanks for bringing this song. I've played this on guitar for many years, and was looking at doing it on ukulele, but you beat me to it, ha ha! But I am glad that you did it, and did it so well! This one is really great! :)

see:
http://www.carl-jung.net/synchronicity.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity_(The_Police_album)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity_I
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity_II

Last edited:
Okay folks, I'm gonna hit the sack for tonight. Thanks for a great first day. All comments are on youtube. Usual caveat: if I missed adding you to the playlist, let me know. I am working on an original for this week. Thanks to everyone today who gave us an original (or two), and I just want to encourage everyone to try and write something. Maybe it happened to you, or to a friend of a friend...

Dude. Bev played Hawkwind.
All right...we knew I would play Misfits songs, so I might as well get on with it. This one, as I say in the video, is about undisclosed "creatures" taking liberties with their new found friends. Thankfully it is like 1:30 long, because it is not the most pleasant song I can think of.
I have, as we speak, a very special snake flying to my house. She is a hybrid between a Cornsnake, a California king snake, a Nelsons Milksnake and a Pueblan Milksnake and she is the prettiest monster I have ever seen (named Debora after the T-Rex song because she looks like a Zebora), her arrival has this number stuck in my head.
Hybrid Moments- The Misfits.

version of Taint no sin,old novelyy show tune given a weird twist.based on a Tom Waits version from Black Rider

Here is something from Godley & Creme (half of 10cc), a sort of adaptation of the old ghost hitchhiker story. They weren't known for writing uke-friendly songs, but after simplifying the chords & turning the spoken bit into a sung bit, I think I am close enough...

I you have read the book Like water for Chocolate there is a strange phenomenon
reported in it. Whatever food the cook in preparing she is able to transmit her own
emotions to the people who eat the food she has prepared. A tear falls into the
cake mixture of a wedding cake and all the guests who eat the cake become
tremendously sad, And you don't want to know what happens to her sister when
she uses chillies in a recipe. This is a Tom Waits song Filipino Box Spring Hog,
and it has a redneck voodoo food vibe to it. Ethnic food is mysterious and quite possibly dangerous.

Filipino Box Spring Hog (Words)
I hung on the Mary's stump
danced with a soldier's glee
With a Rum Soaked Crook and a big fat laugh
I spent my last dollar on thee
I saw Bill Bones, I gave him a yell
Kehoe spiked the nog
With a chain link fence and a scrap iron jaw
We're cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog
cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog

Spider rolled in from Hollister Burn
with a one-eyed stolen mare
Donned herself in the chicken fat
Sawing on a jawbone violin there
Kathleen was sitten down in
little Red's recovery room,
In her criminal underwear bra
I was naked to the waist
with my fierce black hound, and I'm

Dig a big pit in a dirty alley road
Fill it with madrone and bay
Stinks like hell and the neighbors complain
I don't give a hoot what they say
Turn that hog, roll him over nice
Baste him with a sweeping broom
You got to swat them flies and chain up the dogs
Cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog

Jerk meat possum with grapes and figs
Old Brown Betty in a yellow wig
T'ain't the mince meat filagree
T'ain't the turkey neck stew
T'aint them bruleed okra seeds
though she made them especially for you

Worse won a prize for her Bottom Black Pie
The beans got thrown to the dogs
Jaheseus Christ, I can always make room
When they're cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog
cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Ho

Last edited:
Had to sneak this in on my lunch break. I haven't recorded with the Fluke for awhile anyway. I think this fills the bill.

My eyes were wandering as parking was scarce and I needed to make sure no one was expecting me to move!

Hi Alan! Please forgive the dodgy voice (I've still got a cold, and, as you might notice, I am so unwell that I have taken on a slightly greenish tinge!) Anyway, in my opinion, angels are "strange phenomena" as I simply don't believe in their existence ... I DO like the song, though!

Top Bottom