Seeking advise on archtop concert uke

LarryL

Reaction score
I have long been an archtop guitar player (for 55 years) and now that I am enjoying the uke, I would like to find a good quality archtop uke, concert size. Not sure why I want an archtop, perhaps just the appearance. I am open to brand suggestions...I havent found a store where I could try one out and hate to order one sight unseen without at least a little knowledge.
Thanks in advance for any tips. ( BTW this is my first post to this site.)

Hi Larry, and welcome to the forum. There aren't many archtop ukes around, and even less in the concert size. Kala makes an inexpensive archtop model, but that's pressed into shape rather than carved. The one luthier that comes to mind who makes all sizes and with every possible custom choice is Toby Chennell in the UK:

http://www.jazzboxukes.com/

I have a tenor from him which I'm thinking about selling. Very nice work in the tradition of violin making. Just be aware that an archtop uke will sound much different from your regular uke, perhaps more like a mandolin.

Last edited:
Every once in a while on eBay, Bruce Wei (in Vietnam) has a carved archtop uke listed. You can also contact him directly through that store and have make a custom. He's very reasonably priced and does very good work. Here's one that looks like it will fit the part, though not archtop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bruce-Wei-S...992566?hash=item466cbc54f6:g:97oAAOSw3FNZluW0

BWA f hole.jpg

I'm not sure how archtops, carved or pressed, fit into the ukulele family of instruments. I may be wrong, but I associate instruments which have arched tops with metal strings and high string tensions. Would an archtop uke use standard uke strings, and if so, would the strings be able to "drive" such a stiff top?

Wow, thanks so much for all of your information that you have provided me...ideally, I would like to try one in person before I made the plunge...I never thought about it being more like the sound of
a mandolin...I would not want that...thanks for all of the links...I have some homework to do before I make any purchase. I will definately follow up on your posts. Thanks again !

I have a Chennell Archtop Baritone. I can use either light steel or fluros on it. I had an extra nut to accommodate the steel strings. Right now I'm using the Thomas-Infield classical A&D(for D,G) guitar wound strings with fluros for the B&E strings. The steel strings have a nice resonance and the fluros have a nice mellow sound.

It has the typical mellow jazzy sound but because its an archtop, it's much quieter. I installed a K&K Twin spot pickup to help when playing with a group. Toby makes a great hand carved archtop at a very reasonable price. It really pays to get a better quality one since you've been playing so long. I'm on my 59th year on a guitar.

IMO the concert size arch tops are too small to drive the sound board enough to produce enough volume; it may work with a pickup. I suggest a pickup on any archtop you buy. With your being a guitar guy, I'm surprised you aren't going with a baritone or tenor.

If this was going to be my main player, I would choose a regular shaped uke.

Attachments

• 11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 549233_958328307524980_2449050601758388619_n.jpg
    549233_958328307524980_2449050601758388619_n.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 11252721_958328264191651_671030320724533016_n.jpg
    11252721_958328264191651_671030320724533016_n.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yep, I think you right, Patrick, I will look for a more traditional shaped uke...the one I have is fine, I just want a better quality uke, and I thought perhaps the archtop would be the way to go, but I think not. I would pay $500-700 for a nice one...any recommendations ? Perhaps that should be another thread. Thanks again for the responses....I mostly use the uke to create backing tracks for my Hawaiian steel guitar playing.

Good choice Larry. For 5 to 700, I doubt it would be one up to your standard after 55 years of guitar. There's a lot out there for 5 to 700. For myself, I'd look for a higher quality used one.

I have a Chennell Archtop Baritone. I can use either light steel or fluros on it. I had an extra nut to accommodate the steel strings. Right now I'm using the Thomas-Infield classical A&D(for D,G) guitar wound strings with fluros for the B&E strings. The steel strings have a nice resonance and the fluros have a nice mellow sound.

It has the typical mellow jazzy sound but because its an archtop, it's much quieter. I installed a K&K Twin spot pickup to help when playing with a group. Toby makes a great hand carved archtop at a very reasonable price. It really pays to get a better quality one since you've been playing so long. I'm on my 59th year on a guitar.

IMO the concert size arch tops are too small to drive the sound board enough to produce enough volume; it may work with a pickup. I suggest a pickup on any archtop you buy. With your being a guitar guy, I'm surprised you aren't going with a baritone or tenor.

If this was going to be my main player, I would choose a regular shaped uke.

This is really stunningly beautiful

Top Bottom