Advise sought for a Uke in the range of up to $700

LarryL

Reaction score
I am mostly a guitar and steel guitar player, but I recently have enjoyed the uke also and would like to upgrade my Luna (approx $100) to one that is easier to play up the neck for chord melody solos, has better tone and am will to pay up to $700. I thought I wanted an archtop, but have changed my thinking on that. I want a concert model. Name brands, model numbers would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was going to suggest KoAloha Opio as well. The concert model has friction tuners, which I find a bit fiddly; you might want to have them changed to Gotoh UPT Planetary Tuners. They look the same but have little gears inside to prevent the tuners from slipping. For $700 USD, you might even be able to find a used Kanilea.

... would like to upgrade my Luna (approx $100) to one that is easier to play up the neck for chord melody solos...

Lots of good recommendations from other folks already so I wont repeat that, but...

While you are searching, you can remedy the trouble playing up the neck if you are at least a little bit handy...

If the string action is too high, this can be easily remedied with some patience, about 10 mins and some sandpaper to remove material from the bottom of the saddle.

Lots of videos on YT how to do this, and most folks will tell you that string action of 2.65mm at the 12th fret is very comfortable to play up the neck...you need at least a string action gauge or a set of feeler gauges to measure as most rulers are hard to read such small increments...

Lower than 2.65mm and you can get string buzzing and/or when strumming vigorously, the strings might 'slap' the fretboard on the down-strum.

Here is one video with Joel from Hawaii Music Supply:

and another here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adeFF0nQyzM
(The UU forum software has a limit of embedding only 1 video per message)

I was fortunate enough to find a beautiful used KoAloha Koa concert in my area. I love it.

I have that one in my shopping basket now,,,just havent pulled the trigger on it yet, but based on what I played today at various shops in the Phoenix area, this one has my vote.

Just ordered this uke with the upgraded hard case...excited to get it !

Congratulations Larry, great choice. Have fun!

Congratulations Larry, great choice. Have fun!

Thanks and thanks to you and Hawaii 50 for leading me on to that uke...I am confident that I will be very happy with it. I have the book called " ukulele jazz" that I ordered from Japan and I was having a hard time playing them on my "cheaper" uke...I am sure this one will take care of that !

Top Bottom