Last two Sopranos

Timbuck

Reaction score
Now the time of year has come when I start to open up the "metal working department" and start making string spacing gauges and other stuff..But! before then I'm putting together the last two Sopranos for this year ...One in Koa supplied by Chuck Moore and one in reclaimed Cuban mahogany.

PICT0031 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Chuck is a very sweet guy. Lucky you.... I love mahogany. A lovely wood to work with and looks great, but... give me the koa!

wow , cuban mahogany , that stuff is like unobtainium .

The words 'reclaimed' should give you a clue... there is loads of Regency furniture in auction houses and on ebay here in the UK made from the stuff - tables and wardrobes. If you know what you are looking at you can get a, relative to its rarity as noted, bargain... or from me. I still have some sets...

Here's an eBay listing with £185 BIN tag but open to offers.

Table.jpg

It's what is called a Pembroke Table and you'd get 4 - 6 or so good sized sets out of it. Top centre section looks well quartered and the leaf that shows is not too bad either. You can also quuickly determine that this is not a veneered piece - the ruke joint is very hard to do with veneered furniture.You'd be getting properly seasoned wood, old wood and an opportunity to repurpose these useless ornaments! I don't know anyone who uses one...

Last edited:
Yes, yes. There is a ton of wood out there just ready to be turned into lovely ukulele's. Below a picture of some koa that was reclaimed from a house that I scored cheap. Two big problems: It was hard as iron and it came in cut way thick. I think they were floor boards. Personally I don't want to work with the stuff again. Too damn hard. Sounds good though.

DSCN6651.jpg DSCN6644.jpg
DSCN6646.jpg

Nope. The act does not recognise the age of the wood or its previous incarnation... it is a very strange device.

Top Bottom