FS: Southern Cross Banjo Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPO

Reaction score
My latest build.
Open back banjo uke, concert scale. Body is a block construction using Tasmanian Blackwood with a feature ring of TB and Banksia. Neck is also Tasmanian Blackwood but in a very light colour, and is spliced with a Purple Heart/Totara skunk stripe. Fretboard is Purple Heart with TB fret markers. Headstock and heel cap are in Kahikatea. Nut and Bridge are hand made in PH, tuners are Gotoh planetary, strings are Aquila. Quality hardware throughout.
There are very minor blemishes on the back of the headstock which were possibly made by some long dead bug, these have been filled and sealed.

Price is $US 795.00 plus shipping.
Ships worldwide.

Video/sound sample added

https://youtu.be/INevT_xaF8U

Last edited:
What a beauty!!

Zowie, this is purty!
It has about four times as many head tension screws as my Duke. Can you tell us why?

Zowie, this is purty!
It has about four times as many head tension screws as my Duke. Can you tell us why?

Hi Nickie,
The minimum number of tension hooks on an 8 inch banjo uke should be around 12 and anything over 18 would be overkill. I have settled on 14 for mine. Tensioning of the head is ultra important, the more hooks the more even is the tension. Imagine a banjo uke with say four hooks two each side and as you tension those hooks, because there are so few of them it is easy to get very uneven tension across the head. There would be a lot of head without much tension , or not enough even tension, hence the more hooks, within reason, the more even the tension.

Having said all that if you are building to a price point then the hardware costs mount up pretty quickly and one way to counter that is to use cheaper items and less of them. I am in no way Knocking the Duke or any maker of cheaper banjo ukes, it is just a cost factor that has to be dealt with. The hardware costs alone on one of mine are around $250. Check out the older makers of quality banjo ukes just about all of them used 12 to 14 tension hooks.
Any way I hope that helped, and thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:
Price reduced

First and last price reduction.

Now US $795.00 plus shipping.

OK, I need this sold.
Am open to reasonable offers.
Thanks

Still for sale, still open to sensible offers.
Thanks

Price Reduced

US $695 plus shipping.

Great Xmas gift for someone!

Last price reduction.
Great Xmas gift.
Was US$850.00 plus shipping
Now US$600.00 Plus shipping

Wow that's a great deal for a Southern Cross. Someone's going to be real happy with this!

Yes indeed. If it were a tenor I would probably have succumbed by now.

Bump,
Still for sale. Great Christmas gift.
US $600.00 plus shipping.
Ships worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom