Season 295 is colourful

Here's a cute little song written in 1926 by Harry Woods, and made famous by Al Jolson and many others.

An old Russian folk song that was appropriated by the capitalistic running dogs of the west.
The song originated on the tundra plains of Siberia and was very popular just after the 1917
workers revolution... when red was the colour of the true patriot.

Managed this quick one this morning although I did have to tell a little white lie and say I was running late because I was fuelling the car up !! Eeeeeeeeeeeek where does the time go when you're playing the uke ???

I have two songs planned for this week. But my in-laws are here today, so who knows if I'll get the second one up :)

Meanwhile, here is the first one. It's a rocky little number we do in my band "The Saturday Blues Project" about anger issues. The next song will be a lot less aggressive ;)

L'amour est bleu... A friend of mine suggested I do this song, and she also said it would be better in the French. Well, I did the first, but I don't know a lick of Francaise.

A lullaby from the medley on side 2 of Abbey Road by The Beatles.

Another week away in the van, and the hunt for that elusive beast, the Free WiFi, is not going well. So apologies for not being around to listen and comment so far. But I had to contribute something - two colours for the price of one.

OK. Caught up to here. Comments on You Tube and your songs should be on the playlist. If not just PM me and let me know and I'll add it.

There were a few songs that I was thinking hadn't come up yet. Two came up tonight but two more that I expected to see were Brown Eyed Girl and Whiter Shade of Pale. Just to try and tempt you to give it a go, here's Gary Brooker with a recent incarnation of Procul Harum and accompanied by a full orchestra and choir with his 60s classic. Fabulous.

Big Red Sun Blues

This is a simple & easy Lucinda Williams tune, so I did a quick and easy recording in my car's back seat.

Did this one a few times. Train wreck. This is the last, and best, take I got.
The N. California fires are heartbreaking. This song made me think of what these people are going through.
For TCK, and anyone who has been affected by the fires.

Gave this Seasick Steve song a go. Then started shampooing the carpet and forgot all about getting it here :/

Purple Shadows

Today we are green, and out of the inmediate fire zone thanks to a bunch of people I wish I knew.

Glad to hear you’ve gotten some relief TCK. We’ve been pretty smokey in the East Bay and I’ve been pulling for you and the rest of the fire affected area.

Anyway, I tried my best to channel Pa on this driving blues deep cut from The Kinks Muswell Hillbillies

My favourite colour is red/A good man is hard to find

Don't know the background to this song but I always think
of it as a woman singing for a lost love who has died in the war...
hence the overlay of poppies. She does not go to church, and is
not far from the gutter. The fields won't grow anything and she
takes solace in the company of strangers, and never has any
permanent relationship.

Last edited:
Like Steve. I'm away vanning for a few days and internet time is at a premium.
I'll catch up with watching vids later.
Sure hope our Californian seasonostas are staying cool.
I see vids are coming in so I hope that means you are safe.

No need to turn down the volume for this one, Geoff. :)

This is a close cousin of the song I wrote for Autumn week a fortnight ago. It has been in draft form for well over a year. It was first sketched out for another SOTU, but I forget which one (was "Summer" a theme, once?). Somehow, I never got around to finishing it, so your Season offered the perfect opportunity to revisit it and give it a final form.

Once again, my copy of Microsoft's Video Editor (now no longer supported) failed at the last minute and the version it saved as a back up has these annoying black lines on either side. I really must find an editor that is as simple to use, but more reliable.

So here it is:

Top Bottom