Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I prevent UU from logging me out?

Default Can I prevent UU from logging me out?

I find that sometimes, after I have written a post, when I submit it I will be shown a screen informing me that I am not logged in. I was definitely logged in when I started writing the post, or else I would not have been able to click the "reply" button because it is invisible to those who are not logged in.

It seems to me the logout time must be pretty short for me to have experienced this multiple times.

Is there any way for me to tell the message board not to log me out? Or, can I configure the auto-logout time to be somewhat longer?

Never had that problem. I use the 'remember me' function when logging in.
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

All forums will require re-logging in from time-to-time, but not very often. I also use the remember me check box, but what you describe seems to be out-of-the-ordinary. UU shows a box at the top of the list when you're not logged in to remind you to login.

ē Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    ē Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    ē Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Do you have something set to automatically clean your computer at the time you were posting?

Good Luck
    Last edited by Inksplosive AL; 10-08-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    I find that sometimes, after I have written a post, when I submit it I will be shown a screen informing me that I am not logged in. I was definitely logged in when I started writing the post, or else I would not have been able to click the "reply" button because it is invisible to those who are not logged in.

It seems to me the logout time must be pretty short for me to have experienced this multiple times.

Is there any way for me to tell the message board not to log me out? Or, can I configure the auto-logout time to be somewhat longer?
    The responses so far indicate that your problem isnít common. Iím glad for those that donít get logged out but the system does log me out so you are not alone - obviously I donít know the solution yet but Iíll watch this thread with interest.

MopMan,
    This happens occasionally. It used to happen to me a lot during nursing charting, so I learned to save my work by copy/paste, if it was going to be a long post.
    Good luck!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Interesting that some have experienced this issue but not everyone...

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. For now I have adopted a solution that involves composing with notepad and pasting into the reply box.

If anyone does figure out what causes the logout to happen or how to prevent it, please let us know!

What browser do you use when this happens? Is your browser or some other cleaner program set to periodically dump your cookies or clean your computer?

I myself use Firefox with uBlock Orgin and NoScript running which is not for everyone but I control my system not the other way round.

~AL
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

I am using the latest version of Chrome, unmodified.

Although... I also have a heavily modified version of FireFox running uBlock, NoScript and others. Perhaps I was using that browser on the occasions I got logged out? I will pay attention and perhaps do some experimenting.

I have not experienced this issue on other sites with either browser, as far as I know.

Being logged in and remembered is a function of your browser 'cookies'.

Each different browser has it's own set of cookies by design and are/should-be sand-boxed from each other by the computer's operating system.

Depending upon your checking the box 'Remember me' as said above in combination with your settings in each browser's preferences on how to handle cookies will usually determine how long your active login is remembered by the browser.

In Firefox, I use an add-on called 'Cookiekeeper' that allows finer grained control than the cookie manager built-in to Firefox, and lets me clear individual or all cookies, as well as 'protect' cookies so they do not get deleted.

Cookiekeeper, in combination with another add-on called 'Self-Destructing Cookies', which auto-deletes cookies after you close a web site lets me help to control being tracked across various web sites, along with add-ons uBlock Origin, EFF's Privacy Badger, and NoScript.

But be warned that you have to TRAIN NoScript which takes lots of time and with the above combinations, a handful of web sites that rely extensively on Javascript simply do not render web content well, or at all, and for that I use another browser if I really want to see that page (Midori, on Linux, which is similar to Apple's Safari in that it uses the Webkit rendering engine).

I have Midori set to purge all private data when closing so the cookies get wiped when I close it.

I also have other protections in place at the router (running pfsense, with pfblockerNG) and also LAN-wide at home with Pi-Hole, Squid and Privoxy, but the details of using these are beyond the scope of the OP's question, so I'll spare the tech talk for another time.

Thread Information