Can I prevent UU from logging me out?

MopMan

Concerned Citizen
UU VIP
Reaction score
I find that sometimes, after I have written a post, when I submit it I will be shown a screen informing me that I am not logged in. I was definitely logged in when I started writing the post, or else I would not have been able to click the "reply" button because it is invisible to those who are not logged in.

It seems to me the logout time must be pretty short for me to have experienced this multiple times.

Is there any way for me to tell the message board not to log me out? Or, can I configure the auto-logout time to be somewhat longer?

All forums will require re-logging in from time-to-time, but not very often. I also use the remember me check box, but what you describe seems to be out-of-the-ordinary. UU shows a box at the top of the list when you're not logged in to remind you to login.

Do you have something set to automatically clean your computer at the time you were posting?

Good Luck

Last edited:
I find that sometimes, after I have written a post, when I submit it I will be shown a screen informing me that I am not logged in. I was definitely logged in when I started writing the post, or else I would not have been able to click the "reply" button because it is invisible to those who are not logged in.

It seems to me the logout time must be pretty short for me to have experienced this multiple times.

Is there any way for me to tell the message board not to log me out? Or, can I configure the auto-logout time to be somewhat longer?

The responses so far indicate that your problem isn’t common. I’m glad for those that don’t get logged out but the system does log me out so you are not alone - obviously I don’t know the solution yet but I’ll watch this thread with interest.

MopMan,
This happens occasionally. It used to happen to me a lot during nursing charting, so I learned to save my work by copy/paste, if it was going to be a long post.
Good luck!

Interesting that some have experienced this issue but not everyone...

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. For now I have adopted a solution that involves composing with notepad and pasting into the reply box.

If anyone does figure out what causes the logout to happen or how to prevent it, please let us know!

What browser do you use when this happens? Is your browser or some other cleaner program set to periodically dump your cookies or clean your computer?

I myself use Firefox with uBlock Orgin and NoScript running which is not for everyone but I control my system not the other way round.

~AL

I am using the latest version of Chrome, unmodified.

Although... I also have a heavily modified version of FireFox running uBlock, NoScript and others. Perhaps I was using that browser on the occasions I got logged out? I will pay attention and perhaps do some experimenting.

I have not experienced this issue on other sites with either browser, as far as I know.

Being logged in and remembered is a function of your browser 'cookies'.

Each different browser has it's own set of cookies by design and are/should-be sand-boxed from each other by the computer's operating system.

Depending upon your checking the box 'Remember me' as said above in combination with your settings in each browser's preferences on how to handle cookies will usually determine how long your active login is remembered by the browser.

In Firefox, I use an add-on called 'Cookiekeeper' that allows finer grained control than the cookie manager built-in to Firefox, and lets me clear individual or all cookies, as well as 'protect' cookies so they do not get deleted.

Cookiekeeper, in combination with another add-on called 'Self-Destructing Cookies', which auto-deletes cookies after you close a web site lets me help to control being tracked across various web sites, along with add-ons uBlock Origin, EFF's Privacy Badger, and NoScript.

But be warned that you have to TRAIN NoScript which takes lots of time and with the above combinations, a handful of web sites that rely extensively on Javascript simply do not render web content well, or at all, and for that I use another browser if I really want to see that page (Midori, on Linux, which is similar to Apple's Safari in that it uses the Webkit rendering engine).

I have Midori set to purge all private data when closing so the cookies get wiped when I close it.

I also have other protections in place at the router (running pfsense, with pfblockerNG) and also LAN-wide at home with Pi-Hole, Squid and Privoxy, but the details of using these are beyond the scope of the OP's question, so I'll spare the tech talk for another time.

I only use chrome for anything related to Google such as access to "my drive", hootsuite app and "google my business". Otherwise its the modded FF for me.

I never get logged out of this site... never. I, as an old gamer have nothing deleting cookies, cleaning anything or updating anything automatically. In fact honestly I rarely worry about cookies.

Check if your chrome browser has a setting to clear cookies periodically and if it does turn it off or see if there is a place to whitelist the cookies which store logins for frequently used sites such as UU.

Good Luck
~AL~

If you're an infrequent user, you're more likely to get logged out. I assume the forum keeps track of user activity and logs them out if they've not accessed within a set time. I tend to get logged out of some forums I use less frequently and not others.

Top Bottom