Koaloha Opio Tenor Review

berean_315

Reaction score
Just got a Koaloha Opio Tenor ukulele, and posted a review on YouTube if anyone is interested in getting this ukulele. I highly recommend it.

I love the approach you have, berean, to fingerpicking and using that alternate tuning.

Nice review and playing. I had a Sapele and while liked how lite it was , it had issue. These look and sound much better. I like their spruce top version. I already have an Pono AT so that's all acacia. HMS and KoAloha are great people to deal with. I really like how lite in weight and how resident their ukes are. And of course you have their "Better than Waether Warranty". Buying a KoAloha and from HMS is no gamble at all - nice people. I also love their 15th fret neck joint at the body. I also think the poly finish will help protect these ukes better than the Matt finish on first Opio ukes. Congratulations.

I love the approach you have, berean, to fingerpicking and using that alternate tuning.

Thanks for the comment. I started playing in open tunings because I play banjo, and that's commonly done as well as in slack key guitar. It nice because you don't have to worry about fretting a chord to play melody notes if you're in the main open key.

Nice review and playing. I had a Sapele and while liked how lite it was , it had issue. These look and sound much better. I like their spruce top version. I already have an Pono AT so that's all acacia. HMS and KoAloha are great people to deal with. I really like how lite in weight and how resident their ukes are. And of course you have their "Better than Waether Warranty". Buying a KoAloha and from HMS is no gamble at all - nice people. I also love their 15th fret neck joint at the body. I also think the poly finish will help protect these ukes better than the Matt finish on first Opio ukes. Congratulations.

Appreciate your info about the Sapele model you had. I heard the previous versions were Sapele, and not sure why these are made with Acacia. What kind of issue did you have with yours? Since I've only had mine about 1 week, I'll see how it holds up down the road. I've bought several ukes in the past from HMS, and they have always been great to work with, and the prices are good.

My Opio Tenor is a Sapele, bought as a “B Grade” from Mim with spider cracks in the finish. I have had zero problems with the instrument, which I will always keep even if I had to get rid of all of my other ukuleles.

As an trained classical singer—the Opio can match me in volume—I don’t think there is another ukulele on the market that carries such a loud voice—and some people don’t like that volume. I love it.

I want to play the Spruce version someday—very curious on how it sounds in comparison.

Top Bottom