Thread: Concert strings on a tenor?

Default Concert strings on a tenor?

I recently bought some new strings but instead of tenor clicked on concert. Do I need to buy another set, or can I use these on the tenor?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    I recently bought some new strings but instead of tenor clicked on concert. Do I need to buy another set, or can I use these on the tenor?

Thanks,
    You can use them fine. The tone will be a little brighter, and you will get MORE sustain on account of having a hair less tension from a thinner gauge of strings. The only disadvantage is that you will have a hair less volume with the thinner gauge of strings.

I have done this LOTS of times to get a brighter tone or less tension from a specific uke. I've never had a uke damaged by using thinner strings. Scale length is a reference point and is not carved in stone, and many string makers, like Worth (15 different gauges in each clear and browns) and Oasis (2 different gauges each in hi-G and low-G) sell one length of strings, that needs to be cut in half, or to size for whatever uke you put them on.
    Just the FAQs __________less is more

All my tenor scale ukes have fluorocarbon concert strings on them, I prefer the feel of less tension that they give.

(Except my actual tenor, that has classical guitar strings on it. )
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Oasis has sets that are good for sopranos concerts or tenors. As long as your strings are long enough it shouldn’t be a problem.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Thanks everyone

FYI: I've observed the following after testing over 100 discrete sets of strings:

• Thinner strings = more sustain = less tension = less volume = brighter tone
    • Thicker strings = less sustain = more tension = more volume = warmer tone
    Just the FAQs __________less is more

Thread Information