Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving up to a better uke?

Quote Originally Posted by olphart View Post
    Just a thought or two from my experience. I've been playing for about 8 months now and a month or two ago I decided that if I was going to work as hard as I was at it, I deserved a better uke.
    The one I was playing most, (I had 3 by then), was fine, but I figured that a really high quality instrument would be that much better.
    I went ahead and purchased a pretty decent uke, the kind that professionals often played. It is gorgeous and sounds great

BUT... I don't enjoy playing it. it feels "tight"?? for want a of a better word. The action seems stiff, and my fingers get sore very quickly. I changed the strings, checked the action, played it more to see if I just needed to get used to it.
    It's OK, but I really enjoy playing my much less expensive Kala TEM more. To me, it sounds just as good, is louder, more resonant, certainly lighter, and my fingers don't hurt nearly as quickly when playing it, and that's weird, because the strings on both ukes are the same and they're both tenors

The lesson? I guess it's obvious, PLAY before buying. My gorgeous pro level uke may be the best thing you can get for less than $1200, but I should have played one first. If your cheap entry level instrument feels good and sounds good...stick with it like a good friend.

Did I mention, play any uke before buying it?
    Great observation of wisdom. Thank you.
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    From my experience anyway, it has to do with unrealistic expectations. I often times convince myself that the new thing, be it different strings, a ukulele upgrade, a new book, or whatever, that it is going to magically change something. It never does. That leaves me feeling a little disappointed. I try not to do that anymore. I try to appreciate the more subtle differences. I'm willing to accept different as an alternative to better or worse. Perhaps that is what you are dealing with. Maybe your expectations got the better of you. Maybe instead of looking at the new ukulele from a comparative perspective, you need to step back and look at it from a "different" perspective and enjoy that aspect? I've also become more of a cynic when it comes to most things ukulele, and that has not been a bad thing.
    Rlink, this IS wisdom, meted out in a very handsome dosage.
    I've found that NO new thing, even a new relationship, can make me happy, or even satisfy me for long.
    What I need is a new ME. And I can choose to be that newer version of me every day.
    Cynicism toward any shiny new object is healthy, and keeps one's purse happier. We don't all have the need to smoodge our egos with the platitudes of unbridled consumerism.
    I still like Booli's "hedging into minimalism.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm waxing philosophical because my kitty is dying.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Rlink, this IS wisdom, meted out in a very handsome dosage.
    I've found that NO new thing, even a new relationship, can make me happy, or even satisfy me for long.
    What I need is a new ME. And I can choose to be that newer version of me every day.
    Cynicism toward any shiny new object is healthy, and keeps one's purse happier. We don't all have the need to smoodge our egos with the platitudes of unbridled consumerism.
    I still like Booli's "hedging into minimalism.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm waxing philosophical because my kitty is dying.
    I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. That must be heartbreaking. My cat had a very long drawn out decline a few years ago. He made it to 23 years old, though, which is not bad for a cat.
    Last edited by robinboyd; 10-12-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Thank you robinboyd. 23 years is a lot for a kitty. My kitty "Goofball" is about 12. We think it's a brain tumor. She hasn't been right for about 3 months. But she still eats.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Rllink and Nickie:
    Good words and points.....and sorry about your kitty.

I had a very interesting conversation one day with Luis who builds the LfdM ukuleles and guitars. We talked about tension under finger and YES it can be very different from one manufacture to another. So many things contribute to this, the top material and thickness, the bracing, the bridge size and shape, saddle height, stringing method, fret sizes and height etc. etc. Nut width and neck depth make a big difference to me. I don't like shallow necks, makes it harder for me to fret. I have had probably 12 -15 different makes of tenors and using the same string sets on at least half dozen I could feel a difference.

I am going to take the opposite view, I buy first then play to determine if it suites me. I live in Canada, there is not much available to play first. I buy mostly used right right here in the Marketplace and can resell them for almost the same as I paid. It is like a small rental fee to get a very valuable education.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-14-2017 at 04:06 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

HI, olphart!

Thank you olphant for sharing your experience and great wisdom.

Hi, Dave! You are so clever.

I believe that your free trial is latest try before buy on internet. You should take patent on your system, otherwise internet giants like Amazon steal your system.
    Last edited by zztush; 10-14-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Thread Information