Kala Elite 3KOA-TG Tenor

bazmaz

Reaction score
If it's a permanent change from kala (I believe they WERE 38mm)... then it's a very silly decision.. Somebody else told me they are offering both widths.

If that is true then

a) they need to make that clearer on their site and,
b) Why???

Thanks for the review. It's a very nice ukulele. I'm just the opposite, and always play with a Low G, but that's personal preference. I have noticed that sometimes the wound Low G strings can make the low end too boomy. That seemed to be the case with the Kala. I've had to experiment with different wound Low G strings until I found one that worked. I guess you could try a non-wound, but I personally haven't liked them that much. Recently got a Koaloha Opio Acacia tenor and like it a lot. Anyway, thanks again for the great review.

Good review. Great ukulele, often overlooked. This would be a mistake. USA hand made and sounding good. I believe that they offer 1.38 nut and 1.5" nut which I think works as 35mm and 38mm. On the low G, I agree but then if you buy from a good dealer who does set up, you could get the low G changed. That is what I always do. For review , even for a loaner, if I'm a high g guy, I'd have to change the string. Then , I'd get max out of pkaying in. Easy to change back and give back to supplying dealer. Thanks for doing the reviews. Thanks to you local dealer for loaning you the ukulele

If it's a permanent change from kala (I believe they WERE 38mm)... then it's a very silly decision.. Somebody else told me they are offering both widths.

If that is true then

a) they need to make that clearer on their site and,
b) Why???

The one I played locally was definitely a 1.5" nut, which for me was part of the appeal. A 1 3/8" nut would be.....well just nuts.

My local shop has two of the Elites in stock. Both have a wider 1.5" nut. I actually prefer the more narrow 1 3/8" nut so I wasn't tempted to buy them both. (OK I was tempted but I didn't do it) I've also been told that they offer both sizes.

Nice review, as usual, Barry. I've played a number of the Elite Kalas and was impressed with them. Folks have posted cautions about resale value...because Kala. But, if I like an instrument, I tend not to think much about resale value.

To repeat - if they DO offer two sizes of nut, they really need to amend their website.

Another great review! But I wouldn't buy it with a lo G. That ripply wood just glimmers. :drool:

no that's an odd choice to force on people I think.

I just checked the nut width on my ukuleles. All were 1-3/8 inch (35mm) including the Kamaka tenor. That said, it's nice that the Kala Elites give you a choice between 35mm and 38mm.

I believe Kamaka offer both. My Kanile'a is 38, Godin is 38, aNueNue Moon Bird - 38.

BazMaz, nice review on a great looking and sounding instrument.
I just want to know how you keep your own collection so pared down as all these marvelous instruments pass through your hands??
Or do you keep a back stash you don't tell about?

I've been in the game a long time and dealt with my UAS many moons ago. At one point I owned about 55 instruments and it was just silly. These days I have a few that I really wouldnt replace

A Kanilea Tenor (just because it's nice)
A Tenor solid electric that was commissioned and designed by me
A Couple of hand made luthier built plain mahogany sopranos (my big love in ukuleles)
A Flea and a Fluke (just because)
A cheap Baritone

And that's it really. No desire to add things in any longer as my main love are mahogany sopranos and I have what I need. All review instruments either get sent back, given to charity or sold on to put more on the site which are then given to charity.

Barry, have you reviewed your 2 luthier solid mahogany sopranos? I have been looking at Ken Timms which look good value. Have you ever come accross these?

I love your site and reviews Barry.

I am so glad they sent it in low G. All of my tenors are low G and that is what I like. Smaller sizes are reentrant. You and other might think it "silly" but to me low G is the bomb!!!

Everyone has their preference. I play all high G cause that is how I learned but purchased a few sets of low G and I'm sure I will try it at some point. I think the reason it's so important to buys from a good dealer , with set up, like HMS, Uke Republic, Mim and Elderly is so you can have the set up and strings you want. Thanks again Baz for doing your site. I read all your reviews. Also, cool when KNOW what you like personally and find a few ukuleles that satisfy your itch.

Top Bottom