Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good Olí Baritones

The tonewood is a huge factor in determining whether a baritone ukulele sounds like a guitar. I chose a Kala solid acacia over their cedar top model because it gave me that ukulele tropical island sound. I already play guitar and have a few, so I certainly don't need a four string version.

I tried GCEA tuning on my cheapo Rogue bari but really didn't like it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-vZzl21haM). The big body with the high pitched voice left me feeling like I had the Mike Tyson of ukuleles (no disrespect, Iron Mike!). I would love to have the octive-lower GCEA, but I see from posts on this forum that the sound quality is muddy.

There are plenty of songs that are much more fun to play on one or the other, but overall I prefer the size, lower tones, and rich deepness of a good baritone over a good tenor. The DGBE tuning also gives me expanded options... if a song is out of my limited vocal range, I can just switch to GCEA fingerings and -- *BOOM* -- I have instant transposition! :-)
    Last edited by Braddtastic; 10-09-2017 at 07:34 AM.

For a unwound 4th try a set of Worth Brown FAT Tenor hi g strings on you baritone. They are the same as the Brown Baritones but with a thinner D/G string. Or a set of D'Addario EG99 Tenor strings, for dGBE. on my 20 inch bari they sound really nice, no intonation probs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Yeah, DUD1, that Blueridge is what I was lookin at. You like it, huh?
    It is a fantastic instrument. I had a very good guitar player play it, he owns many expensive guitars, he said it was excellent. If I was left with only the Blueridge to play I would be happy happy. Highly recommend the Blueridge.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Yeah, Bro, thatís what I meant. Baritones seem to be a new fad on the UU, but the different tuning leads players to retune to GCEA, and then itís not a baritone any more. The baritone is specifically a low pitched uke tuned DGBE. I realize that folks donít care about stuff like that, but I just wonder how happy they are with just a bigger GCEA ukulele.

I really like the baritone ďas isĒ a lot. Iíve even been thinking about a tenor guitar. What happened with yours?
    Just for clarification -- it's not exactly "different tuning." Baritones are just tuned to a different key. GCEA instruments are considered to be tuned in C; baritones are tuned in G. The chord shapes are the same except they have different names. For example, the same chord shape that is a C chord on a GCEA instrument is a G chord on a DGBE instrument, an F chord shape on a GCEA instrument produces a C chord on a DGBE instrument, etc. "Different tuning" suggests a different relationship among the strings, as in saying an instrument is "tuned in fifths," or "tuned in fourths." Playing a baritone does not require learning new SHAPES, as playing a mandolin would. It requires learning new NAMES for shapes you already know.

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    Just for clarification -- it's not exactly "different tuning." Baritones are just tuned to a different key. GCEA instruments are considered to be tuned in C; baritones are tuned in G. The chord shapes are the same except they have different names. For example, the same chord shape that is a C chord on a GCEA instrument is a G chord on a DGBE instrument, an F chord shape on a GCEA instrument produces a C chord on a DGBE instrument, etc. "Different tuning" suggests a different relationship among the strings, as in saying an instrument is "tuned in fifths," or "tuned in fourths." Playing a baritone does not require learning new SHAPES, as playing a mandolin would. It requires learning new NAMES for shapes you already know.
    Of course youíre correct, and we both understand what you said. However many new baritone ukists seem to be confused by the difference and prefer to retune their baritones to GCEA rather than adjust to the differences.

I just supposed that they will retune or sell their baritones, but I guess thereís absolutely nothing wrong with an extra large uke.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Thank the Lord for the memories about the good old days.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bariukish View Post
    Our bari's are tuned linear DGBE with the 3rd and 4th wound. I've never considered trying a reentrant 4th string, What string would you recommend for an unwound 4th?
    I use Worth clear Fats (CF) on my dGBE tenor. I'm not a fan of wound strings and generally use all fluorocarbons. My baritone is strung with a Living Water linear baritone set. Worth Fats or a Living Water reentrant set would probably both be fine and you could replace the G with a wound if you prefer. It's all a matter of personal taste.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Quote Originally Posted by bariukish View Post
    Our bari's are tuned linear DGBE with the 3rd and 4th wound. I've never considered trying a reentrant 4th string, What string would you recommend for an unwound 4th?
    As an experiment you can swap out the linear wound D string with a florocarbon of approx. .0260" diameter. I have used the E string from Oasis GPX or Worth CT with good results.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    As an experiment you can swap out the linear wound D string with a florocarbon of approx. .0260" diameter. I have used the E string from Oasis GPX or Worth CT with good results.
    Great idea, Dave. I've got a drawer full of partial string sets. Time to get out the trusty old micrometer and get busy.

Micrometer? Wow! You string guys are really into this strang thang. No cat gut for you.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Thank the Lord for the memories about the good old days.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Note to fellow feline lovers: "Cat gut" is really most often from sheep. Never to my knowledge is it actually from cats.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Thread Information