Choked Mainland Longnecked Pineapple sound

LOVEAGOODUKE

Reaction score
I have a Mainland longneck pineapple.It has fantastic sustain but it's fairly quiet and sounds chocked,like the sound wants to get out but it can't.The intonation is good and has good playability but the sound is thin.I have a Mainland concert cedar and is much louder.Has any one any suggestions?i thought perhaps a hole on the top side might help the sound to get out.I also have to say,I'm not impressed with the tuners.On the concert they are great,but no matter what you do on these,they slip.You have to tune it slightly higher and then it drops.Nothing to do with tightening the screw either.I use Freemont black lines...tried others but these suit it best.

Seems like a few duff ones get through, but that guy Mike seems to sort these kind of problems out, have a chat with him is my suggestion.
(Someone will give you his details, if you ask, I'm on the other side of the pond.)

No,I'm in Wales.I did contact Mike some time ago...no luck there I'm afraid.As I say I'm not very impressed with Mainland.They really should be using tuners that work and as for the sound,well,one half the price would sound better.

Sorry, I just assumed you were over the pond, & sorry you got a dull sounding one.

I have thought about getting a Mainland a couple of times, but know that not everyone who has one likes them, so always end up going with Kala or Ohana, (plus I don't really like that rope binding they use).

Sorry, I just assumed you were over the pond, & sorry you got a dull sounding one.

I have thought about getting a Mainland a couple of times, but know that not everyone who has one likes them, so always end up going with Kala or Ohana, (plus I don't really like that rope binding they use).

That's ok.I have a Mainland cedar concert,friction tuners and it's a really great uke,lovely clear loud sound with friction tuners that work really well.Its just this cedar pineapple is nowhere near as good and I don't play it much because of a the thin sound and b it's difficult to tune because of the friction tuners.I still like friction tuners on sopranos and concerts but not this one!

Have you experimented with strings yet? Maybe something that drives the soundboard harder, like the Aquila Reds (concert ones for the LN soprano).

Have you experimented with strings yet? Maybe something that drives the soundboard harder, like the Aquila Reds (concert ones for the LN soprano).

I don't think it will make much difference.I have used Living waters and currently use Freemont black lines which I've always found the best strings for any ukes I've had.I'm currently in correspondence with my luthier friend about making a hole in the top.I see many luthiers do this including Pete Howlett.As ai said earlier,my other Mainland cedar concert is really good,has a clear loud sound and ahoy to play,just this one is muted.(the one I play most is my Ken Timms soprano and knocks socks off the Mainlands)
Thanks for the advice though and will give it some thought.

My very first uke, a Stagg concert, was rather muted and on the over-built side. I upgraded to something quickly, but a while ago I took it out, put Aquila Reds on it, and it gained a lot of clarity and especially volume in the process. Living Water, like all fluorocarbon strings, are quieter in comparison. I'd drop a few bucks on a pack of strings before I made physical changes to the instrument.

Returning it isn't an option?

Thanks for that,perhaps I'll try them.
I will ask Mike at Mainland if he will have it back,but I did buy it over a year ago.I just haven't played it much because of the tuners and muted,thin sound.

Top Bottom