Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: single wound low G advice very specific question . . .

Quote Originally Posted by WhenDogsSing View Post
    A D'Addario .028" wound classical string is what I have always used for low G. For the C string, use a .023" wound classical.
    Thx for this info. I use a .033" and .028" for the wound D and G on my baritone, wasn't sure where to start for wound low G and C on a tenor.

Edit: Unfortunately SBM only has a 22 and 24, no 23.
    Last edited by twokatmew; 05-01-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: add comment
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

I'm a big fan of the Freemont soloist. .030 squeakless/ polished, says you can use em on soprano-tenor, but i only ever used them on tenors. the tension seems right for me.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Just to clarify, I'm looking to put a low G string on a Godin Multiuke. With it's individual, non-adjustable bridges, strings that work for most normal tenor ukes might not necessarily work on the Multiuke. While I appreciate everyone's input, I'm most interested in hearing from folks who have successfully put low G strings on their Multiukes. Andrew from HMS specifically mentioned that ".032 D'addario silver wrap" was the way to go to get the right tension, and that Freemonts were not perfect.

- FiL

Asst. Organizer, New Jersey Uke Fest

This what you want FIL i've been using these on my Godin Multiuke for over a year now no need for any nut adjustment just fit and play last for ages aswell .

https://www.theukulelesite.com/catal...OMASTIK-INFELD

To simplify, I don't even usually need to bother sticking to specific gauges of strings.
    As a general rule, any D string (4th) of any classical guitar set will function as a low-G string of any Soprano/Concert/Tenor ukulele.

This makes it even easier if you want a full set of strings.
    Just buy a classical guitar set and tune the DGBE strings up to GCEA.

I like that TI string best for it's balance and feel. But the oasis smooth wound .033 probably nails the intonation most on this model. The Ko'olau is right too, made by D'addario like I was saying. I think it wants that higher tension but the TI is pretty darn good with much less tension which is better in this situation for string balance through the amp. All in all I'd go with the TI.

https://vimeo.com/267734646

I may have missed it but are these recommendations for the TI flat wound G & C’s only relevant to chambered body electric Ukes or are they also being recommended for Ukes of standard construction with piezo under saddle pu’s?

Note all my Ukes have MiSi’s and I mostly play amp’ed. Clarification would be very appreciated as I have been using wound 3rd and 4th strings for a while now. I have been happy with Southcoast, Alvarez and D’Addario single wounds but always like to try something new.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Sugar Box Maple and Alaskan Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKuker View Post

I like that TI string best for it's balance and feel. But the oasis smooth wound .033 probably nails the intonation most on this model. The Ko'olau is right too, made by D'addario like I was saying. I think it wants that higher tension but the TI is pretty darn good with much less tension which is better in this situation for string balance through the amp. All in all I'd go with the TI.

https://vimeo.com/267734646
    I have the cedar top Godin Multiuke and I like the TI, CF30 for the wound G and CF27 wound C strings respectively.

Hey Hollis the TI wounds work great on standard hollow body acoustic ukes as well.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 05-02-2018 at 08:20 PM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I have the cedar top Godin Multiuke and I like the TI, CF30 for the wound G and CF27 wound C strings respectively.

Hey Hollis the TI wounds work great on standard hollow body acoustic ukes as well.
    Thanks Dave, I think that I might give them a go.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Sugar Box Maple and Alaskan Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

frigiliana and Andrew, thanks for the recommendations. And Andrew, special thanks for taking the time from your busy day to make the video, too! Much appreciated.

- FiL

Asst. Organizer, New Jersey Uke Fest

Thread Information