single wound low G advice – very specific question . . .

A D'Addario .028" wound classical string is what I have always used for low G. For the C string, use a .023" wound classical.

Thx for this info. I use a .033" and .028" for the wound D and G on my baritone, wasn't sure where to start for wound low G and C on a tenor.

Edit: Unfortunately SBM only has a 22 and 24, no 23. :(

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Freemont soloist. .030 squeakless/ polished, says you can use em on soprano-tenor, but i only ever used them on tenors. the tension seems right for me.

Just to clarify, I'm looking to put a low G string on a Godin Multiuke. With it's individual, non-adjustable bridges, strings that work for most normal tenor ukes might not necessarily work on the Multiuke. While I appreciate everyone's input, I'm most interested in hearing from folks who have successfully put low G strings on their Multiukes. Andrew from HMS specifically mentioned that ".032 D'addario silver wrap" was the way to go to get the right tension, and that Freemonts were not perfect.

- FiL

To simplify, I don't even usually need to bother sticking to specific gauges of strings.
As a general rule, any D string (4th) of any classical guitar set will function as a low-G string of any Soprano/Concert/Tenor ukulele.

This makes it even easier if you want a full set of strings.
Just buy a classical guitar set and tune the DGBE strings up to GCEA.

I like that TI string best for it's balance and feel. But the oasis smooth wound .033 probably nails the intonation most on this model. The Ko'olau is right too, made by D'addario like I was saying. I think it wants that higher tension but the TI is pretty darn good with much less tension which is better in this situation for string balance through the amp. All in all I'd go with the TI.

https://vimeo.com/267734646

I may have missed it but are these recommendations for the TI flat wound G & C’s only relevant to chambered body electric Ukes or are they also being recommended for Ukes of standard construction with piezo under saddle pu’s?

Note all my Ukes have MiSi’s and I mostly play amp’ed. Clarification would be very appreciated as I have been using wound 3rd and 4th strings for a while now. I have been happy with Southcoast, Alvarez and D’Addario single wounds but always like to try something new.

I like that TI string best for it's balance and feel. But the oasis smooth wound .033 probably nails the intonation most on this model. The Ko'olau is right too, made by D'addario like I was saying. I think it wants that higher tension but the TI is pretty darn good with much less tension which is better in this situation for string balance through the amp. All in all I'd go with the TI.

https://vimeo.com/267734646

I have the cedar top Godin Multiuke and I like the TI, CF30 for the wound G and CF27 wound C strings respectively.

Hey Hollis the TI wounds work great on standard hollow body acoustic ukes as well.

Last edited:
frigiliana and Andrew, thanks for the recommendations. And Andrew, special thanks for taking the time from your busy day to make the video, too! Much appreciated.

- FiL

I may have missed it but are these recommendations for the TI flat wound G & C’s only relevant to chambered body electric Ukes or are they also being recommended for Ukes of standard construction with piezo under saddle pu’s?

Note all my Ukes have MiSi’s and I mostly play amp’ed. Clarification would be very appreciated as I have been using wound 3rd and 4th strings for a while now. I have been happy with Southcoast, Alvarez and D’Addario single wounds but always like to try something new.

I don't think any particular strings is specifically better for ukes with pickups or chambered bodies, etc.
It's really up to preference. Any string appropriate for use as a low-G string (eg: Classical guitar D strings) would work.

I don't think any particular strings is specifically better for ukes with pickups or chambered bodies, etc.
It's really up to preference. Any string appropriate for use as a low-G string (eg: Classical guitar D strings) would work.
Totally agree re preference. I have liked all the wound bases I have tried so far but I’m alway willing to try something new. As I change strings relatively often, I get to indulge my curiosity.

Thanks Dave, I think that I might give them a go.

Andrew has recently developed a set of Koolau florocarbon strings. I really like these a lot and on the set with wound 4th and 3rd strings he uses Fremont for the wound G and TI for the wound C strings. Chuck Moore strings all his low G Moore Bettah ukes with Thomastik Infeld (TI)wound 4th and 3rd. These guys know a thing or two so if use them its gotta be worth a try

Andrew has recently developed a set of Koolau florocarbon strings. I really like these a lot and on the set with wound 4th and 3rd strings he uses Fremont for the wound G and TI for the wound C strings. Chuck Moore strings all his low G Moore Bettah ukes with Thomastik Infeld (TI)wound 4th and 3rd. These guys know a thing or two so if use them its gotta be worth a try

I looks like I will be entering a stage of Frankenstein string set creations. “It’s alive I tell you, it’s ALIVE!”.

Thanks, Andrew. My new Multiuke is on its way to me and I want a low G. :) Which specific TI string is this? And is the C a TI string also? Thanks.

Thanks, Andrew. My new Multiuke is on its way to me and I want a low G. :) Which specific TI string is this? And is the C a TI string also? Thanks.

I have the Thomastik-Infeld CF-30 as my low G on my Multiuke, and the Thomastik-Infeld CF-27 as the C string, and I have no plans to try anything else.

Top Bottom