Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridge preferences (tie, pinned, through the top...)???

Default Bridge preferences (tie, pinned, through the top...)???

In my never ending prototyping I've made several ukes, some with string through the top bridges and some with the traditional tie type.

I like the string through the top better for lots of good, sound mechanical reasons. However, when I get to wondering what the strings on one uke might sound like on another uke there's a problem.

So, I've been thinking about bridge pins (from the guitar world). I've even gone so far as to order some pins and a taper tool, which have arrived. It seems to me that this might be ideal, in that it's still technically a string through the top system, but it's easy as pie (if you've got the right tool around) to remove strings in a way that leaves them reusable. On the other hand, pins add another level of complexity both in making and for the player.

I also realize that most folks put on a set of strings, play them until they're dead or break and then replace them -- so this whole question is not of much concern to many. Still, I need to pick a system, so what do you all think?????
    Robert Edney
    Robert@ElixirViolins.com

Much more interested in playing the ukulele than making violins just now...

Having had every possible bridge stringing combination, string through top is my favorite simply because it's the simplest. I have yet to see a meaningful difference in tone based on the stringing method, so for me it's all about convenience.

I also prefer the string through the top system, it gives a very simple & clean look to the instrument, and the other great benefit is that it adds strength to the bridge because the strings are actually pulling from below.
    All the best,
    Campbell

I would like to see string through for you new tenor that is what I would like. With four tenor, tow Pono's are tie. My custom Is slot. My Fluke is slot. I played guitar for 30 years with pin bridges and while they work good, aren't that hard to use, when I started Uke, I stayed away from pinned bridge. I wint not buy one with pins but would prefer next Uke to be string thru. They are so simple and sleek.
    My .02 cents worth.

I strongly prefer string-through or pinned vs. tie. And I am not hesitant to change strings.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

My two bobs worth is that being able to reuse strings is a VERY low priority when it comes to deciding on a bridge design. If you like string through the top then I would stick with it. Standard pin bridges only work properly with ball ends on the string. The whole design is based around the ball end being displaced sideways and then placing sideways pressure on the pin, rather than vertical force which pins aren't designed to resist.

You could look at redesigning the pin system for plain strings. You could have a hole and a slot on neck side to hold a string with a knot under but then the pin is completely superfluous to this design anyway.

My personal favorite is what Outdoor Ukulele uses for their bridge design. It's pretty much a string through, but loaded easily from the top.
    http://ukulelego.com/wp-content/uplo...oor-bridge.jpg

Next favorite would be the usual string through.
    Then tie bridge.
    Then the old slotted bridge that loads from the end as least favorite...but not a deal breaker if the uke has everything else I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post

You could look at redesigning the pin system for plain strings. You could have a hole and a slot on neck side to hold a string with a knot under but then the pin is completely superfluous to this design anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    My personal favorite is what Outdoor Ukulele uses for their bridge design. It's pretty much a string through, but loaded easily from the top.
    http://ukulelego.com/wp-content/uplo...oor-bridge.jpg
    There you go. Someone has already done it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    There you go. Someone has already done it.
    Ah yes. For some reason, what you said didn't register with me at first as I didn't realize exactly what you were describing.

I have seen this design on an electric guitar with a metal bridge too. It could've been an electric bass. I can't remember for sure. I just know it worked the same way. I can't seem to find a pic of it now.

I also like string-through, which I'm doing on my latest uke, though my others are all tie. To me a full string-through is the most advantageous and makes sense physically because it clamps the bridge to the top rather than pull the bridge across.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 10-09-2017 at 07:10 AM.

• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.

Thread Information