New Martin 2K Concert on sale for $1360. Should I buy?

ra88it

Reaction score
I was able to play it and it had a loud, shimmery quality that made my jaw drop. But I wasn't looking for a concert (I would prefer a tenor).

It seems like such a ukulele could be resold immediately for a profit. That is not my intention - I would like to buy it to play it forever - but is it true that Martin ukes hold their value with a reasonable market for resale?

I've never paid more than $100 for a uke, and I worry that I'm smitten with this one due to being inexperienced with nicer instruments.

It's not so much a matter of whether I can afford it, as whether it is a reasonable investment that I could potentially liquidate in the future if for whatever reason I was to change my mind.

The seller is a reputable dealer.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ok, Bill seems to be with me on this one. Anybody else think this is an awesome idea?

Ok, Bill seems to be with me on this one. Anybody else think this is an awesome idea?

Simply put, Do You Love It?

I have 22 ukes. I have sold one - a duplicate Epiphone Les Paul to a UU member who was looking for one. I think I sold it for less than I paid for it, but that had nothing to do with it - The UU member was looking for one, I had a spare, and I was able to accommodate him. I had another that I gave to someone who was looking for a uke for a specific application, and I had one that fit the bill. This particular person is a professional musician I have known (although not well) for more than 30 years, and known of for more than 45 years. (I first saw him as part of the Star Spangled Washboard Band the opening act for Poco at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center when I was in 7th grade That would have been 1969 or 70...) His bands have always made me happy, and when a bandmate approached me for my opinion about a uke for that application, I said I have such a uke. Give it to him. If it doesn't do what he wants, he can give it back.

The rest? Cold dead fingers, man. They are NOT investments, they are my musical companions. There are three that I will not part with, ever. The other 19, I would part with reluctantly.

So if that Martin talks to you (As my KoAloha Sceptre talked to me), then grab it with both hands, and don't let go.

-Kurt

Martin ukes gain from their guitar making manufacturers heritage, personally I think they are all overpriced, but then you are buying the brand name as much as a uke, if it 'speaks' to you, & you are willing to pay the price, go for it, you'll get a lot of pleasure owning & playing it. :)

I think just about the only ukulele you can guaranteed to sell at close (or maybe even above) what you paid for it would be something like a Moore Bettah or a Devine,
or Beau Hannam, or Louis Feu de Mesquita... Stuff that costs A LOT to begin with.
Anyway, if you really really want that Martin, and you can afford it, get it.
If you need to sell it for whatever reason, you would likely get a fair price for it, but do not expect it to appreciate or even hold its value too much.

It just so happens I have a very nice Grand Concert Kamoa I would be happy to sell you for $1000 less than that Martin, it plays well, sounds great, and you would be getting it (with hardshell case) for about half what I paid for it.

Why am I selling it? Because I want a Compass Rose, and I have to sell three of my ukuleles in order to afford it. I don't think I will sell the Compass Rose once I get it.
I had no intention of selling my Kamoa when I bought it. The thing is, I have 10 ukuleles now, and I really only play four of them. The Kamoa, my Pono, my six-string, and my Milo concert.
The Kamoa and the Pono are almost redundant, I really don't need both, and I have decided that I want the Pono just that much more than the Kamoa. Plus, it's a beautiful koa Pono, and they just don't make those anymore so it is kind of irreplaceable.
So there you are.
Let me know if you would like a nice used long-neck concert and put that extra $1000 towards something that will for sure appreciate over time.

I've decided not to buy the Martin. Mainly because I haven't played enough "nice" ukes yet to pull the trigger without instantly feeling regret. Too soon.

Here's the backstory if anyone is interested.

Last week I was in NY for work and I decided to google around and see if there were any good uke stores in Manhattan. As I mentioned before, I'm in the market for an upgrade, probably a tenor.

My Google search quickly revealed this thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ng-to-NYC-any-good-ukulele-shops-in-Manhattan

The 7th reply to this thread mentions Matt Umanov Guitars, which I had never heard of before, so I google them and it turns out they are this beloved guitar store in the village that's been in business since the late 60s.

And that very day they announced that they are closing:

http://www.umanovguitars.com/news/

So, instead of eating lunch I hopped in a cab and rode over to the shop. And it's packed with people because everything in the store is 20% off. In spite of the crowds, the woman behind the counter was very patient and helpful. They had 4 or 5 "nice" ukes, 2 or 3 koa and the rest mahogany I think. I can't remember the brands other than the Martin 2K. I tuned them all and played them, and they all sounded good, way better than the Kala laminate soprano that I have been enjoying so much recently.

Then she handed me the Martin 2K. When I plucked the 1st string I was surprised. It wasn't "sort of" different from the other ukes, or "sort of" better. From my perspective, it sounded like it was of an entirely different category somehow. I just stood there listening to that 1st string, my first pluck, and it seemed to ring and ring.

My second surprise was that the other 3 strings were just as strong. When I strummed all the strings together, there was the shimmery sound I mentioned before. I've heard shimmery sounds before, but they weren't like this.

On my cheap ukes (I still love all of you, I promise), I always have a favorite string and a least favorite string, due to the pitch of the uke itself I guess. I don't know much about ukes, but it seems like Martin somehow avoided this problem or hid it from my ears. I just stood in the shop plucking the strings and holding the instrument at different angles and smiling like a goof.

Soon it was time to get back to work. Naturally, I gave the instrument back to the woman. Because the price was $1,700, and even with 20% off that's ridiculous, right? I literally know next to nothing about ukuleles. Hand it back to the lady and back away from the counter!

I decided to walk back to the office instead of taking a cab. As I walked I could still hear that sound ringing around between my ears. I decided on a new plan: I would go home and get on ebay and find myself a used Martin 2K from a reputable seller. Boom! I'd get that amazing sound (hopefully) and save a bundle. Right?

But when I went to ebay, there weren't very many and they were all $1700 or more. Not saying I searched exhaustively (or waited for any time to pass whatsoever), but plan B was starting to seem unlikely.

The saleswoman gave me her card. When I went to bed I put it on the bedside table. When I woke up the next morning, I stared hard at that card for a few minutes before deliberately dropping it into the hotel wastebasket. (Nothing personal!)

I flew home and put it out of my mind.

Then 3 things happened:

First, my cousin invited me over Saturday night and we drank a little bit of whiskey and, while he was messing around on his guitar, he talked about his dad's old Martin guitar (apropos of nothing, believe it or not), about how Martins tend to hold their value and about how hardwood instruments just get better and better with care and use. For what it's worth, I don't really buy into the idea of hardwood improving for years and years due to actively resonating, etc., but my short visit to ebay at least seemed to weakly indicate that, with the 20% discount, I could probably turn around and sell it immediately for at least what I paid for it, maybe a bit more.

Second, my own dad came over to the house yesterday afternoon and he brought his uke and I told him the story about the guitar shop and he kept saying, Maybe you should have bought it. You only live once. Etc. I said, Maybe Martins really do hold their value. I can't seem to find a deal on one. He said, Probably a better investment than Bitcoin.

Third, after my Dad went home, I looked up their phone number and gave them a call. Sure enough, the Martin is still available. I spoke to a different woman, equally as helpful as the first. She told me it would be sold tax free since she would be shipping it out of state. It comes with a hard case. I told her that I was sorry but still not ready to pull the trigger.

I went inside and started this thread. When I woke up this morning, I decided it's just too soon to do it. I want to play more ukes and travel to more stores and talk to more people. I'm in no hurry.

So, the secret is out, there's a concert Martin 2K available from Matt Umanov's for 20% off. That's a $340 discount. I played it and it's awesome, but what do I know? If somebody else on this forum decides to buy this uke, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Bravo to you on the discipline to resist. And even though it's still available you're still resisting. I think you can rest assured that somewhere down the line you will find another ukulele that resonates with you in your heart, and your wallet. The difference between a $100 ukulele and a solid wood well-constructed Sound Chamber is different. You are right to crave that shimmering tone that resonates inside you. You can find it for way less than $1,500. I'm sure you can find, when you are ready, a musical companion in the $300 to $400 range. And if you're lucky something even a tad less, especially here on the market place.

There are two things that will speak to you maybe three. First the tone, and the playability. Then there are those who fall for the looks. Ultimately for me it has to be a good value too. I fell for a high-end, custom one of a kind, gorgeous ukulele with a beautiful tone I saw here in the marketplace and resisted. It was priced like your Martin. Sometime later I saw it listed for much less and I was able to purchase it. It was stunning The Sound was amazing and it was easy to play. However I found I didn't play it that much. I wasn't comfortable with such an expensive ukulele. I didn't want to have to worry about scratching it and keeping it in it's case. I was able to sell it here for what I paid. It wasn't an investment. I think I could have asked more money for it but I didn't need to do that. I just wanted someone else here to enjoy it. I got to satisfy my curiosity. I doubt that I'll do that again.

For me, I don't need a super high-end ukulele. I do need one or two (and maybe one more) that have great tone and easy playability. Some people are happy with just one. I have sold three this year that I never thought I would part with. Sometimes they work for a while and then you realize you don't need it anymore. Sounds like you are just beginning this journey. It's great that you found the underground to share these experiences with. Ukuleles come with a lot of stories. Now you have a story of going to Greenwich Village to the iconic music store. It certainly wasn't a wasted lunch hour!

Kudos to you for resisting the purchase of a really nice uke. Now you have way more knowledge about ukes in the mid/upper price ranges. Keep looking instead of endless buying, you'll find your dream uke, and save a lot of money.

Good job showing restraint as it sounds like you're not quite ready. As to whether or not you could easily resell and recover your money, my perspective is that is difficult when buying new. But certainly buying on sale can minimize your downside. Especially for instruments over $1,000. I have bought and sold about 40 ukes. My experience is that more expensive ukes often require a larger percentage discount to new than less expensive. I would assume 30% discount to street price -- not to MSRP -- to be reasonable. Of course, there are exceptions.

I've decided not to buy the Martin. Mainly because I haven't played enough "nice" ukes yet to pull the trigger without instantly feeling regret. Too soon.

I have never bought an expensive ukulele (or anything else) without feeling a bit of regret when it arrived, so to me this seems pretty normal. I feel it has more to do with spending a larger amount of money on something that isn't "necessary", not so much with what that object is.

I kind of agree with the YOLO philosophy, though. A nice instrument that you connect with will deepen your appreciation for the hobby, intensify the experience, and quite likely make you play more and thus become better. In the greater scheme of things, a ukulele for thirteen hundred bucks isn't a critical decision (considering what people spend on vacations, drink, comfort food, and many other smaller expenses that add up to large sums). Even in context with comparable instruments, like guitars or banjos, it's not unreasonably expensive. Often, the decision isn't between keeping money or spending it on an unnecessary thing, but between spending it one unnecessary thing or another, equally unnecessary thing. (All provided someone has a regular income.)

You are probably not going to discover and refine your preferences, unless you expose yourself to instruments that you think may be a match for you. Trying them out in a store or at a festival for a few minutes isn't the same as having and playing them for weeks or months, so the hope that in time you'll figure out what you want before you get something is probably futile. But that's just my view, things may work entirely different for you. :) If I could start my ukulele discovery journey again, I would buy used instruments and sell them after a few months if they are not what I wanted. There is much less loss, if any, involved when reselling them. This isn't always possible, but if you're in the US, you do have access to a varied second hand market for ukes.

One thing, though, I would really advise against, and that is buying a musical instrument as an investment, especially one that you intend to play. It's very rare to buy an instrument new and get back more than maybe 60% of what you paid when you sell it. I do consider resell value when I buy something, briefly at least, but usually I just conclude that it's best to just write off the money once it has been spent. If you get something back later, good. if not, you still had the experience. It will also liberate you from the fear of scratching or dinging it. Unlike electronics, like an iPad or an expensive phone, an acoustic instrument will never become completely worthless, though, so I'm more at peace with dropping a larger sum on an instrument than an electronic gadget.

Last edited:
For myself,when buying a new instrument, I usually check out the used sections first. I can find a higher quality instrument at a reduced price.

I think you should buy it, based on the following rationale.

Martins are excellent instruments from THE iconic guitar and ukulele manufacturer. They do indeed hold their value very, very well.

Clearly, this particular instrument made a strong impression on you. So much so that it is still haunting your dreams.

Matt Umanov Guitars is an iconic music store that is literally smack dab in the middle of Greenwich Village, the place where the Folk Music boom of the 50’s and 60’s began... and it will be closing its doors forever soon. Matt recently announced his impending retirement, and instruments bought from his shop have the added mojo of being in the company of instruments belonging to some of the biggest names in the business. Very soon, that will no longer be possible.

Your Dad is right, you only live once.

Buy it. You won’t be sorry.

Scooter

Last edited:
I bought a Martin 2K (soprano) from my local music shop a couple of years ago. They had both the 2K and a 2 (mahogany) marked down to around 1/2 the MSRP. They'd had them both for a while and I reckon this was the clear-them-out price. I had a tough time deciding between the two, but ended up with the Koa. I sold a vintage camera I inherited to pay for it, (I set the reserve at what the uke was listed for), so with the Ebay fees, the Martin cost me around 40 bucks! Best $40 I EVER spent!

Last edited:
Well, I bought that Martin 2K after all. A couple weeks ago, a day or two after I last posted to this thread, I was in the car listening to the most recent Ukulele Review podcast about stringed instruments in Hawaii:

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2017/10/07/episode-23-kilin-reece-two-centuries-of-hawaiis-strings/

Highly recommend listening to that episode.

If you listen to it, and you've read this thread so far, you'll understand why I pulled off to the side of the road and fumbled through my iPhone's history looking for Matt Umanov's number in NY. Dialed with trembling hands, learned they still had the Martin, pulled the trigger. Seriously: very trembly hands and I was unable to concentrate later when I got back to my desk.

The woman I originally spoke to in NY was working that day and she made herself available to take my order. Even though they are slammed with work as they clear out inventory, she took her time with me and somehow found a way to get the instrument onto the Fedex truck that same day. When I took it out of its case two days later, it was just barely out of tune. When I played it I felt this surge of relief because I could still hear the stuff I heard when I played it in NY.

My teacher noticed it and said, "Oh, you have a new ukulele?" and I told her an abridged version of the story. Then she squinted at it and said, "Wait, is that a Martin?" and I got sort of embarassed and handed it to her. She played some notes on the A string halfway up the fretboard and raised her eyebrows and said "Wow, listen to it ring..."

I've been happily playing it since it arrived. Only one nightmare so far about leaving it in a hot car.

PS - Thanks for everybody's replies to my original query!!

Last edited:
Well, I bought that Martin 2K after all. A couple weeks ago, a day or two after I last posted to this thread, I was in the car listening to the most recent Ukulele Review podcast about stringed instruments in Hawaii:

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2017/10/07/episode-23-kilin-reece-two-centuries-of-hawaiis-strings/

If you listen to it, and you've read this thread so far, you'll understand why I pulled off to the side of the road and fumbled through my iPhone's history looking for Matt Umanov's number in NY. Dialed with trembling hands, learned they still had the Martin, pulled the trigger. Seriously: very trembly hands and I was unable to concentrate later when I got back to my desk.

The woman I originally spoke to in NY was working that day and she made herself available to take my order. Even though they are slammed with work as they clear out inventory, she took her time with me and somehow found a way to get the instrument onto the Fedex truck that same day. When I took it out of its case two days later, it was just barely out of tune. When I played it I felt this surge of relief because I could still hear the stuff I heard when I played it in NY.

My teacher noticed it and said, "Oh, you have a new ukulele?" and I told her an abridged version of the story. Then she squinted at it and said, "Wait, is that a Martin?" and I got sort of embarassed and handed it to her. She played some notes on the A string halfway up the fretboard and raised her eyebrows and said "Wow, listen to it ring..."

I've been happily playing it since it arrived. Only one nightmare so far about leaving it in a hot car.

This makes me very, very happy!

Congratulations on your new legacy caliber Ukulele!!!!

Scooter

P.S. We will be expecting pictures, a full review, and a sound sample at your earliest convenience.

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing it!

Congratulations! Reading through this thread I was wanting to reach through the screen and tell you to pull the trigger, but it seemed like you had already made up your mind not to. There are some things you can't second guess or rationalize yourself out of. When it feels right, you just know. Or, in your case, "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ring!"

Ra88it, I am SO relieved you did buy it after all!

It sounds like a wonderful instrument, special even for a Martin - if you hadn't bought it, I think it forever would have been 'the one that got away'.

Top Bottom