New Banjolele GH&S?

The Pashmeister

Reaction score
Hi there

I've just won an auction on Ebay for a banjolele. It's the first one I've owned and wondered if anyone could identify it? The seller thinks it was made between World War 1 and World War 2 by George Houghton & Sons. Looking at the shape of the headstock and comparing with others, I would be inclined to agree.s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600.jpg
I haven't received it yet, so hopefully when it arrives I can post some more detailed photos.
It's missing the bridge, and needs a good clean up and restringing.
What strings would you advise to buy for a banjolele? I use Aquila strings on my ukes, but wondered if anybody would advise a different brand for a banjolele.
Also, what kind of bridge to buy? Are they all the same? Are there different sizes?

Thank you all in advance.

Paul

Deering use Aquila Nylguts on their open back banjoleles. I haven't tried it, but I feel that Aquila Reds may be perfect as they have a bit of a metallic, bright, strong sound, which I feel might liven up an open back banjolele like Deering's and like yours. (Banjoleles are dangerous gateway drugs into the world of banjos ... several months after I bought one, I picked up a full fledged banjo, and I still only have one, somehow!)

Actually, as for bridges, if it's the same as for banjos, which is likely, they are not all the same. They come in different shapes, forms, heights, thicknesses, etc, and banjo players obsess a lot over the right bridge for a given instrument. It also depends on the action that you want. I believe Deering sell their banjolele bridges separately too. If it's not in their catalog, they may still sell you one if you email them.

Would mine be classed as an open back? It has a metal resonator plate on the back?

I didn't look closely enough. You're right, it has a resonator plate! I'd still go with Aquila Reds, or at least consider them, to emphasize the banjo-sound. (But I'm a great fan of them and put them on nearly all of my ukes.)

As you are used to Aquila strings, I'd say that'd be a good place to start.
Bridges would be different heights for different length necks, I'd imagine.
Might be worth checking out a banjo forum for qualified info.

Hi there

I've just won an auction on Ebay for a banjolele. It's the first one I've owned and wondered if anyone could identify it? The seller thinks it was made between World War 1 and World War 2 by George Houghton & Sons. Looking at the shape of the headstock and comparing with others, I would be inclined to agree.View attachment 103574View attachment 103575View attachment 103576View attachment 103577
I haven't received it yet, so hopefully when it arrives I can post some more detailed photos.
It's missing the bridge, and needs a good clean up and restringing.
What strings would you advise to buy for a banjolele? I use Aquila strings on my ukes, but wondered if anybody would advise a different brand for a banjolele.
Also, what kind of bridge to buy? Are they all the same? Are there different sizes?

Thank you all in advance.

Paul

Bridges are cheap to buy, so get a 1/2 inch and a 5/8th and try them out. Brown dog banjos in the UK stock a good range and ship worldwide. I generally aim for a half Inch on my banjo ukes but have recently started making my own so I can customise to suit. It basically depends on the sort of action you want. Email me if you need more info.
PS, I have tried many strings. Aquilas are your best bet.

It's arrived. On closer inspection, I've narrowed it down to a Down South banjolele made by George Houghton & Sons. I'm not sure of the date of manufacture.
The headstock should be stained ebony, but it has been sanded down (quite badly) so I will restain it to its original colour. It should also have a Down South sticker on the headstock. I'll have to replace that with something else, or nothing. The nut is the wrong size and wasn't even in the nut slot - it's too wide. I have ordered a new one, but will have to sand it down to fit. There was no bridge, so I've ordered one. I've also bought some Aquila Red strings to replace the steel strings that were installed - gulp, bit of a worry there. Hopefully the neck isn't bent. All the parts look original. The skin is worn, but still tight, so I won't replace that until I have to.
The frets are a bit of a concern. They protrude from the side of the neck and are quite sharp so they need dressing. Is this just a matter of filing them down?
Any advice is welcome.

Paul.

Top Bottom