Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low G

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    How does a low G work on a concert?
    In a nutshell: just the same.

Whether and for what you like/need it is another discussion and depends mainly on your personal preferences (as you can see already)
    Soprano Concert Tenor Bass
    Makala MK-S (Baton Rouge SU-BW)
    Kala SSTU-FMCP (ukuMele FC)
    Makala Waterman (ukuMele)
    Firefly Walnut (Aquila)
    Flea M-42 (Aurora green)
    Koa Pili Koko Acacia (Martin)
    Big Island KTO-CT
    Blackbird Clara
    Kala KA-KG-T8 (Living Water) Kala Ubass EM-FS (Aquila Red)

more about all my ukuleles on just.4str.in

Every artist was first an amateur (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

My question isn't so much about the benefits of a low G, but whether it's effective on a concert as opposed to a tenor. I have a tenor that I otherwise haven't bonded with size wise, but I still have it in order to try a low G. I've been told that low G works better on a tenor. I have a KoAloha concert, and a cedar/rosewood Loprinzi concert in the works. I could try the low G on that ukulele when I get it, and sell the tenor. However, if low G really is more effective on a tenor, then I'll keep it.

From the responses so far, it seems that people use a low G on concert and even soprano ukes. I've ordered a Fremont Soloist low G. My Loprinzi won't arrive for 6-8 weeks, so I suppose I could see how I like the tenor with the low G in the meantime.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 10-10-2017 at 02:18 AM.

I have low G on my tenor Kamaka and my concert Eastman. Worth clears on the tenor and single Fremont Soloist with Martin 600s on the concert. Aside from the difference in ukuleles, imho no difference in how the low G sounds on either ukulele. ymmv
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Pretty much the same difference on cheaper ukes too, (think Kala & Ohana).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I put low G on all my ukes, even my sopranos, for 2 reasons. 1st, I just think it sounds better. 2nd, I have noticed you can not play the melodies in a lot of uke books without it, its as if the people putting the uke song books together expect you to have low G.
    Outdoor soprano, Makala pineapple soprano, Donner concert, Cordoba 24t tenor

Quote Originally Posted by MananAtma View Post
    I put low G on all my ukes, even my sopranos, for 2 reasons. 1st, I just think it sounds better. 2nd, I have noticed you can not play the melodies in a lot of uke books without it, its as if the people putting the uke song books together expect you to have low G.
    Just a tip, if you play melody and you go below the C on a re-entrant strung uke, you can substitute chords for the notes and it sounds very nice. I do it all the time.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    Check out the G&B Detective Series by yours truly.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...ords=r.l.+link

My experience is a low G does sound better on a tenor. The larger body size resonates more and the longer scale length supports the string tension better. NOTICE that I said better, I did not say low G will not work on a concert. No flaming please from the rabid concert fans
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    My question isn't so much about the benefits of a low G, but whether it's effective on a concert as opposed to a tenor.
    It's arguably a little low even for a tenor. I think it generally depends on the instrument, is subjective, and hard to generalize. I only ever heard two people who could make low-g work on a soprano in a way that sounded good to me (Otha-San and George Elmes, and the latter rarely uses low-g). I'd just try it and see whether you enjoy it.

Yes it works! Some people are just low-G peeps and others just love high-G. I favor low-G on my concert but it doesnt mean I won't break out the high-G soprano sometimes. Some songs just sound better on high-G.
    The one thing i really did not like is putting low-G on a soprano...

Are you thinking of putting on a wound/metal low-G or a fluorocarbon kind? Cos the latter you might have to carve or file a piece of your uke so it fits in the slot better.
    Last edited by kitsunegarcia; 10-10-2017 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Ca't spell today
    My current stable:

Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    Hanknn Koa Concert
    Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    For strumming, I would give it a thumbs down overall.
    Thanks for making that point, I'm so accustomed to my own way of playing (which rarely involves straight strumming) that it didn't occur to me to point that out. I'm inclined to agree with your assessment, which I neglected to mention in my previous post. For me, sometimes for strumming low G works as accompaniment to a reentrant uke playing lead, but my primary use of a low G is for playing lead or counterpoint rather than straight strumming. I've found that standard uke chord charts rarely sound good to my ear on low G, particularly if played in a group of mainly reentrant ukes.

Thread Information