Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Low G

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    My experience is a low G does sound better on a tenor. The larger body size resonates more and the longer scale length supports the string tension better. NOTICE that I said better, I did not say low G will not work on a concert. No flaming please from the rabid concert fans
    This is what I have heard and what prompted my question. My dilemma is whether to go ahead and put the low G on the tenor to experiment with the sound, even though I may not keep the tenor. Or, do I keep the Fremont Soloist tucked away and try it on a concert in the future. I'm a novice who mostly strums, but I'm starting to pick and play melodies.

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    This is what I have heard and what prompted my question. My dilemma is whether to go ahead and put the low G on the tenor to experiment with the sound, even though I may not keep the tenor. Or, do I keep the Fremont Soloist tucked away and try it on a concert in the future. I'm a novice who mostly strums, but I'm starting to pick and play melodies.
    It's definitely worth trying the string to see how it suits you & your ukulele. It's also valuable experience to gain and it will only cost a few dollars
    All the best,
    Campbell

Maybe you dont know this but you can try the low-g, and if you are careful putting it on and taking it off, you can re-use it later on another uke, and same with the hi-g you'll be taking off.

I do it ALL the time for 4 yrs now with no issues, just dont cut the string too close to the tuner (leave about 2-3") otherwise you may have trouble installing it on another uke later...

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I always wonder why so many ukers dislike wound strings. They fit better than the others, and they make that cool, guitar string sound when one slides his/her fingers. I agree with those who say Hi-g for chords, Lo-G for picking, and I mostly like Hi-g.
    I really like wound strings. On tenor, I think a wound C also sounds far better than a plain one, provided the G is also low and wound. Two wound with two unwounds sounds more balanced to me than 1:3.

I feel strumming on low-G sounds just fine. Not really different from playing chords on a guitar or a banjo (where the 5th string is usually ignored when playing chords). It's certainly different sounding, though. For picking, high-G works great for campanella and it's a little more original than basically playing guitar without the bass strings.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs700s View Post
    Hopefully this link will help- https://youtu.be/Orw8BLsGyBM
    Thanks. That was very helpful. Maybe the low G should go on my KoAloha concert. Someone told me recently that my KoAloha concert would work well that way.

Thanks. That was very helpful. Maybe the low G should go on my KoAloha concert. Someone told me recently that my KoAloha concert would work well that way.
    I loved the low G on my Koaloha. I prefer Living Water strings. They are unwound and on all of my Ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    This video is proof that a low G will work on a soprano size, so a concert and tenor size should also work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAPpKvmDoeM
    Hey thanks for the video Bill1! I wasn't doubting whether it could be done, more would I like the sound of it? I've tried wound and unwound strings, but naw...it's just not for me. However, it doesn't take away that Ohta-san is an amazing uker! Very lovely!
    My current stable:

Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    Hanknn Koa Concert
    Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert

Thread Information