Thread: Ohana CK-15BWE Exotic Black/White Ebony Concert Ukulele

Default Ohana CK-15BWE Exotic Black/White Ebony Concert Ukulele

Hi guys. I just came across the "Ohana CK-15BWE Exotic Black/White Ebony Concert Ukulele." I'm not looking to buy one, but the look of it intrigued me and I wasn't able to find out much information about it. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it solid or laminate? How does the ebony sound?

Going by the number, I'd say it would be a laminate.
    However, the price suggests otherwise, but lack of info suggests it may have been short lived, only found it on Uke Rebublic.
    http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...oncert-ukulele
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    Going by the number, I'd say it would be a laminate.
    However, the price suggests otherwise, but lack of info suggests it may have been short lived, only found it on Uke Rebublic.
    http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...oncert-ukulele
    WOW - that looks very fancy with the almost marble-like figuring of the two-tone wood, but the glossy neck would put me off, as I prefer either no gloss or satin/matte on the back of a neck...but that one sure looks different.

The Uke Republic description does not say if it's lam or solid, and since it does say 'limited edition' and 'rare' w/regard to the wood combo, if it is a lam uke, then maybe that is why the price is just $329? (due to the rarity)

But I know very little about wood species other than that I've played ukes with koa (and/or acacia), mahogany, spruce and cedar...so I could be wrong.

I was thinking along the same lines as you guys re the reasons why it might be laminate or solid. Seems an awful lot to pay for a laminate, no matter how pretty, but also seems cheap for such an unusual solid...

Interesting look all right. General rule is that if doesn't advertise as "solid" you can be pretty sure it ain't.

Sailor Brand has some similar offerings in this price range but they are up-front about them being veneer over solid wood, so you theoretically get the tone of the underlying solid with the aesthetics of the fancy veneer. No idea if that's what Ohana has done here.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Very nice. It has to be one of a kind, that one in the pic. I like it!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Looks very nice, Robin. I blew the pictures up as large as I could to get a better look at the sound hole, but still couldn't tell if lam or solid. I agree with some of the comments that most (but not all!) sellers advertise "solid" if the wood is solid. Why don't you ask Uke Republic? They could probably record the sound for you, too.

Good luck!
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    D. Heilman ULO #7 Concert
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kala Elite Custom Lebanese Cedar Tenor
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Bonanza Retro Mint Pear Tenor
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Primrose Cedar/Maple Soprano
    Flea Lava Soprano
    Outdoor Amethyst Soprano
    Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

It's definitely laminate. For this price, you couldn't even get an unworked set of this wood. Black & White Ebony is very rare and highly sought after by top luthiers worldwide. Very hard to get. I assume the only reason why Ohana got some is that their specific boards were not apt for solid tonewood, so it can only be used as a thin layer of veneer.

There will be a model with a solid Spruce top, according to Mim on Instagram (she also mentions that the Ebony is laminated).

Thread Information