Super glue to raise the level of nut's string slot.

LimuHead

Reaction score
I have a Pono banjo uke that has the slot on the nut for the C string cut a little too low so that the open string buzzes on the fretboard.

I used a piece of paper to raise the string in the slot a little higher and the buzzing disappeared. I'd like to find a more permanent solution though.

My question: has anyone used a dab of super glue to raise depth of the slot? I have the proper files to tweak the height after the glue dries. I'm just wondering if it's worth trying or not.

Mahalo for any input.

Aldon

Simple: First, mask the area very carefully so that all that's exposed is the slot itself. Now brush some petroleum jelly over the tape, being careful not to get it into the slot. The petroleum jelly helps keep the tape from being super glued to the nut. This is the most important bit, making sure not to get the stuff anywhere its not welcome. Use a small craft knife to pack in some baking soda. Pack it as tightly as you can, then use the edge of the knife to removed any excess. Now comes the super glue -- the thin version (not the gel stuff). First, practice dropping a small amount on a paper towel. Depending on the tip you can end up with a flood of the stuff if you're not careful, which will run down off the tape, find a place that's impossible to removed it and turn into concrete. Really. Once you've got the hang of it, drop a drop onto the slot. It will rapidly soak into the baking soda and cure nearly instantly. While it's still a big gummy use the knife to trim off the excess.

You can also us a cotton swab. Drop a couple drops of super glue on the tip of the swab, then just barely touch the swab to the making soda. You want to transfer the glue to the baking soda, not glue the Q tip to your nut. However, BE QUICK, because the super glue reacts with the "cotton", heats rapidly and gives off fumes that will burn your nostrils. Really.

Finish off with some fine sandpaper and re-cut your slot to the proper depth.

Mahalo everyone for the tips. I did it with no problems!

I used plain thick Gorilla glue and no baking soda and it worked great! It didn't even need to be tweaked after it dried!

You guys here @ UU are awesome!

Aldon

Top Bottom