Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass Ukulele

Default Bluegrass Ukulele

Anyone here ever play bluegrass on a ukulele? What techniques have you found most useful?

Yeah, but I couldn't point out any techniques, since I play by ear. I just play what sounds right to me.

Same goes for Old-timey stuff, and jug band music.

-Kurt
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

I play some bluegrass also. Same technique I use on my guitar, including using a pick. Like Kurt said; I play by ear and what sounds right to me.

Thanks for the replies. I guess that's more or less what I've been doing so far, strumming like a guitar but also hitting the high G string a lot with my thumb so it kind of works as a drone string (I've been playing a lot in the key of G, so that works). Then for the instrumental breaks, I try to imitate a banjo a little bit. Hopefully it doesn't sound too ridiculous.

What do you mean by "playing bluegrass"? Are we talking playing bluegrass songs in the basement, showing up at a bluegrass shindig with a ukulele, or playing in a bluegrass band? I mean, you can play anything on a ukulele, but bluegrass music itself is pretty much defined by the instruments. In my own experience I've found that it is very difficult to fit into bluegrass music with a ukulele. There just isn't a ukulele part. Not saying it can't be done, because as sure as I say this someone is going to post a video of somebody playing a ukulele in a bluegrass band, but I've not found it to be the norm. There is a combination bluegrass/ukulele festival in Minneapolis next month, but the two don't mix .
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-11-2017 at 05:05 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

I would think you'd be competing bigtime with the mando player, who often keeps rhythm with the chop style chords. Seems like a good soprano could do that, but the lightning fast mando leads with a pick would be tough to duplicate. Of course, if there's no mando player, you may fit right in for rhythm, as long as the banjo doesn't drown you out. I bet serious Grassers would sneer at a uke, many I've met can be very traditional: if the instrument wasn't in Bill Monroe's band, they don't want to include it.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-11-2017 at 04:25 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

If you want to experience invisibility, show up at a Bluegrass jam with your uke. No one will be able to hear you speak, either. ��
    Kiwaya KTS-6
    Enya X1 soprano
    Kiwaya KTC-2
    Ohana BK20

Aaron Keim has posted several clawhammer-style uke tutorials on YouTube, if that's what you're considering.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea (!!!) Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

And BTW, our jam did an all-bluegrass night at a local tap room during the International Bluegrass Music Association's annual convention. Several of us brought banjo ukes and we had a bass player, but with enough of us in a small space, it sounded pretty good.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea (!!!) Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

This reminds of a video I saw on youtube yesterday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DELE3PNsIo

I say play whatever you want however you want on ukulele. Just don't expect to be accepted by the traditional bluegrass crowd. I do get where they're coming from. They're trying to maintain a tradition, and that includes only certain instruments.

That said there's a lot of what I've heard termed new-grass, or at least bluegrass type style mixed in with other rootsy type stuff. I've seen ukes with that.

Thread Information