Uke for a location that isn't climate-controlled

If you want to step up to an instrument that plays better, a Pono AT is a good choice. I use the humidipak system but also use an Oasis in the sound hole. Keep it in a good hard case as DUD suggests and you will be fine. One little know fact is tha you can re charge the humidipak pouches when they start to dry out. Put them in a Tupperware ware container with a lid. In side the container have another small plastic container to keep packs off the water in the bottom. You basically have two containers. Himidipack re absorb the water from inside the closed tupper ware and you are set.

I have a Fluke. It is bullet proof. I did add pegheds because friction were a joke to me. Neck is only so so but it is bullet proof and has good intonation. Sound is very good for what is is. I agree on the shape thing.

I've played the Outdoor tenor. Plays nice. Bullet proof. Good Grover geared tuners. Intonation is spot on. Not as loud as a Fluke but nicer neck. At $145 US$ you would never worry about it.

Finally Ohana has a tenor, solid spruce top, laminate rosewood sides, slotted headstock. Aldrine said in a NAMM video he highly recommended it and he would buy it if he was just starting to play. I think Uke Republic has them for about $210.

So, lots of choices for you. I would look to what works for your highest priority. Better playing, tenor for greater musical experience or easy to maintain. All suggestion so far give you a blend of this.

That being said, for travel, I'm saving up for a Blackbird Farallon, so I can get the best of both worlds.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I just can't seem to get my head around the idea of a Fluke. The body shape just doesn't seem right to me.[/QUOTE]

It is a matter of aesthetics. There are plenty of oddly shaped ukes (banjos, bells, pineapples, Vitas, camp-styles), so if you feel most comfortable with the traditional double-bout shape, then you may never warm to the Fluke products. For sound, playability, and durability, they're hard to beat.

I don't disagree with you on your last sentence. What would you expect to pay for a "better quality laminate that's built for sound and durability." Any suggestions?

Sorry not to have responded to you earlier.

Your question has so many answers, there are so many valid suggestions. Though there are cheaper options which might be just as good I prefer to spend a little extra for reputation and certainty. As such I’m a fan of Kala laminates and would point you in the direction of their Exotic Mahogony range. Hawaii Music Supply posted these videos of the CEM some while back: https://vimeo.com/23230837 , https://vimeo.com/117250942 . There is a tenor in the range too and prices are affordable, I hope that that helps.

As I live in the U.K. rather than the USA it’s hard to be definitive on price, but Uke Republic sell the CEM for $120 so a budget a little above that (say $150) should get you something worthwhile from an established brand and maybe leave you a little change too.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting comparison of the Islander MT4 and the Kala KA-TEM laminate tenors:

Thanks for the suggestions, but I just can't seem to get my head around the idea of a Fluke. The body shape just doesn't seem right to me.

It is a matter of aesthetics. There are plenty of oddly shaped ukes (banjos, bells, pineapples, Vitas, camp-styles), so if you feel most comfortable with the traditional double-bout shape, then you may never warm to the Fluke products. For sound, playability, and durability, they're hard to beat.[/QUOTE]

+1 for Fluke. The body shape may look a bit odd but they are surprisingly comfortable to play. Given your circumstances and comments above, stick with the plastic fretboard and consider paying extra for peghead tuners.

Hey guys. Thanks for the input. I think that I am leaning toward a higher quality laminate. Right now, I am considering the Kala KA-ATP-CTG or the Kala KA-ZTP-CTG. We'll see! Thanks.

Hey guys. Thanks for the input. I think that I am leaning toward a higher quality laminate. Right now, I am considering the Kala KA-ATP-CTG or the Kala KA-ZTP-CTG. We'll see! Thanks.

Those Kala KA-ATP-CTG line seem to be well-reviewed here and good value. I believe they're solid cedar-topped and laminate sides/back. They're certainly beautiful looking.

Top Bottom