Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a baritone just a lazy man's little guitar?

Default Is a baritone just a lazy man's little guitar?

Really. Is a baritone really even an ukulele? Or is it just a soprano guitar?

It's got the same tuning. You use the same fingerings as a guitar, it's just missing the 5th and 6th string.

Sure, personally, I like playing it. It can do things the ukulele can't... but that's the point. It's not really an ukulele.

The baritone is exactly what I cringe about when I'm carrying around my uke and I hear people say, "Oh. look at the little guitar!"

IT'S NOT A LITTLE GUITAR!

The baritone is.
    Last edited by Joko; 10-12-2017 at 03:16 AM.
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

I must admit, I do tend to use it as a substitute, DGBE just sounds nice & full, whereas GCEA sounds less so, to me.

I like the GCEA for melody picking, (& gCEA is mainly for stumming, to my mind), so will still keep them, plus they're easier to handle, being smaller than a bari.

However, I have just strung my laminate tenor & my laminate long neck soprano to DGBE, & I think they have potential - both have that bari sound now.
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

It is for me and I don't cringe at all.......I love it
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Honestly, baritone ukuleles do nothing for me. When I was a kid, I first learned on a baritone ukulele before moving on to guitar. They still sound and play that way to me: as a 4 string classical guitar.

I prefer a guitar to a baritone uke, but I prefer a tenor uke to a guitar...!

Originally Posted by ukemunga:
    "Best is a very personal thing. You gotta play it to love it. And you'll always think there's one better. And there is."

I agree that it is more “little guitar” than ukulele. The different tuning makes it that way. I think it’s in the same class as the tenor guitar and mebbe the tenor banjo. But one thing that makes it better than a guitar is it’s size. Guitars are very much larger.

I like my baritone a lot though, and I don’t wanna learn the other two strings.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

“A man’s got to know his limitations”. - Dirty Harry

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

That is hilarious Joko!

I used to feel that same way. I would cringe when I heard the word baritone. I had always heard that Arthur Godfrey said, "I'm not going to learn a bunch of new chords." and had someone come up with a baritone.

But...now, I feel better about them. I think guitarists feel like Arthur Godfrey. They don't want to give up what they've learned. Baritones can bridge the gap between guitars and ukuleles and they help my guitar friends come over to the uke. Which is a great thing. Ya know, I don't remember the last time I saw two guitarists play together outside of a concert or on the tube. Guitarists love to get on a baritone and jam with the group.

But, I'm used to the soprano and concert, so they seem like a guitar to me. I don't have one, but they sure sound nice!
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

It's not to me, as I'm not a lazy man but an industrious woman , and because I tune mine in fifths, and can't play a guitar anyway. So my baritone is more like a single-course octave mandolin. I just like the way it sounds.

I don't generally treat ukes (or anything I play) as chording instruments per se, but as melodic instruments with the capability of chords and double stops being included when applicable, as an embellishment to the melodies.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    It's not to me, as I'm not a lazy man but an industrious woman , and because I tune mine in fifths, and can't play a guitar anyway. So my baritone is more like a single-course octave mandolin. I just like the way it sounds.

I don't generally treat ukes (or anything I play) as chording instruments per se, but as melodic instruments with the capability of chords and double stops being included when applicable, as an embellishment to the melodies.

bratsche
    How do you tune in fifths? Where do you get the Lo-C or the Hi-E?
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

“A man’s got to know his limitations”. - Dirty Harry

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Not if you don't play it that way . . .
    1. VERY sweet low-G Uke
    2. "Kind of like a Cuatro, only with a nicer action"
    3. Reentrant-tuned uke ALL the way down to "High A" (a-d-f#-b) if you can want to put your own string set together
    4. Oh . . and as a Baritone Uke (I have mine tuned to A ("low E") 'cuz it sounds better IMO.
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Aquila Nygut)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone: Kala KA-SBG (C: Southcoast LL-NW, A: TBD)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG Aquila Nygut

Okay, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that my own opinion is that a baritone is neither a ukulele or a guitar, but is its own instrument. That's just me though, and if people want to play them, and call them ukuleles, more power to 'em.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Thread Information