Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a baritone just a lazy man's little guitar?

Well, one reason I keep mine around is to remind me, when I start thinking I want to play guitar, that guitars are huge. I like it, just the same, but I rarely play it.
    Kiwaya KTS-6
    Enya X1 soprano
    Kiwaya KTC-2
    Ohana BK20

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Okay, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that my own opinion is that a baritone is neither a ukulele or a guitar, but is its own instrument.
    Now there's an interesting idea! The baritone is neither. So we need a new name for it.

The Barulele?... The Bukulele?...The Bukkakale?
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    How do you tune in fifths? Where do you get the Lo-C or the Hi-E?
    It's low G - GDAE. Bass strings from a classical guitar set - the lowest 2 strings will work. Then for the trebles, a regular baritone uke's top two, with the 2nd one tuned to A instead of B.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Just go to a Yamaha gl1 you'll never turn back. It is small like a baritone but got all the classical guitar neck and strings so you can work all the intricacies of classical music
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    It's low G - GDAE. Bass strings from a classical guitar set - the lowest 2 strings will work. Then for the trebles, a regular baritone uke's top two, with the 2nd one tuned to A instead of B.

bratsche
    Are you talking about our regular low G? If so, then the E will be an octave too low won’t it? What low G are you talking about? A G an octave below ours would be way too low.

I think our regular Lo-G and D and A (as B) are okay, but the E is lower than the A isn’t it?

I’m confused.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Thank the Lord for the memories about the good old days.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

You're confusing me now, Dick!

Just think of all the strings as the octave below a violin or mandolin's tuning. Does that help?

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

This Spring I had issues with my hands and couldn’t play fretted instruments, I sold most of my Ike’s because I was told the condition would last for several years.
    The Cleveland Clinic resolved the issue quickly. I had a tenor guitar tuned in fifths and I decided i would make the effort to learn how to play it. The tenor guitar is now my main instrument (also playing the mandolin).

I really liked my baritone ukulele but don’t feel like I need to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    It is for me and I don't cringe at all.......I love it
    Hi, Dave!

You are right. Dave's baritone is lazy man's guitar, Brenda's guitalele is industrious woman's ukulele.

Kamaka HF-1 100

Big Ukulele/Little Guitar. It’s just a name. I enjoy my Baritone. It suits my voice range and when I play with a group of standard tuned Ukes, it helps fill in some of the chords or at least gives them fuller voice. It’s great fun to have another option and it was not as hard as I thought to pick up the fingering or switching back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Okay, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that my own opinion is that a baritone is neither a ukulele or a guitar, but is its own instrument. That's just me though, and if people want to play them, and call them ukuleles, more power to 'em.
    I tend to agree on all points.

Thread Information