Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a baritone just a lazy man's little guitar?

So the only proper way to sing is soprano?
    And which saxophone is the 'true' saxophone?
    And the violin? Viola and cellos are just some pale imitators?
    There is a ukulele family! With lots of members.
    Sopranino. Soprano. Concert. Tenor. Baritone. Pineapple. Banjoukulele. 6 string. 8 string. Guitalele.
    Play them. Or talk about them. I know what I prefer......

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    You're confusing me now, Dick!

Just think of all the strings as the octave below a violin or mandolin's tuning. Does that help?

bratsche
    No it doesnít. I donít know what youíre talking about, and I donít think you do either. But never mind-forget it.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

ďA manís got to know his limitationsĒ. - Dirty Harry

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    No it doesn’t. I don’t know what you’re talking about, and I don’t think you do either. But never mind-forget it.
    I know what I'm talking about, but am not 100% sure what you're talking about. When you wrote "our low G", I don't know which one you meant. Is it the one in linear DGBE tuning that's typical of the baritone being discussed here? If that's the one, then "my low G" (the lowest string on my 5ths tuned baritone) is an octave below that one. Capisce?

bratsche
    Last edited by bratsche; 10-12-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: trying my best to clarify
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Hi, Down Up Dick!

Hope this help you.

No it doesnít. I donít know what youíre talking about, and I donít think you do either. But never mind-forget it.

Kamaka HF-1 100

Hee hee, zztush, that describes my baritone, but looks funny - since "bratsche" means "viola", there ought to be CGDA in there too. Perhaps in a red font?

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Hee hee, zztush, that describes my baritone, but looks funny - since "bratsche" means "viola", there ought to be CGDA in there too. Perhaps in a red font?
    Yes. violin was shifted from viola by 5th steps from CDGA to GDAE. Baritone (guitar too) was shfted from ukulele by 5th steps from GCEA to DGBE. Ukuele and Viola were sort of origin basic and fundamental.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Okay, so you have a G string an octave below our “normal” low G and then a regular low D and then an A and an E which is lower than the A.

First of all the Low G must be very, very low. Lower even than the low C which is usually used for low fifths. Some think that the low C is somewhat loose and mushy on a uke. And then what is your high E above the A? Some ukers have tried fishing line for the E, but it breaks.

Well, I dunno. Maybe I’m all wrong, and, if so, I’m sorry. I like to play in fifths, and that’s why I wanted to know how you did it. I hope you enjoy playing in fifths.

I guess I’ll just stick to my Concert banjolele, my Irish tenor banjo and my mando-banjo when I wanna play in fifths.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

ďA manís got to know his limitationsĒ. - Dirty Harry

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer View Post
    Play them. Or talk about them. I know what I prefer......
    I'm just stirring up trouble.

I've got a soprano, concert and tenor uke, and I play them all all the time. I sold my baritone before moving overseas due to lack of space in the luggage. I'm going back to the USA for Christmas and I plan on buying a baritone and shipping it back to Myanmar.

I've also got a guitar, but I'm too lazy to play it.
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Okay, so you have a G string an octave below our ďnormalĒ low G and then a regular low D and then an A and an E which is lower than the A.
    You mean the E is (a fifth) higher than A, not lower.

First of all the Low G must be very, very low. Lower even than the low C which is usually used for low fifths. Some think that the low C is somewhat loose and mushy on a uke.
    Yes, it's a fourth lower. But it's doable on a baritone with the right string. I use a Thomastik classical guitar low E string for it, which is .045. I don't find it mushy. And incidentally, I use the 5th string from the same set (.035) as a low C on my tenor which is in fifths tuned to CGAE, It's not floppy either. I don't think many people tune baritones to CGDA, though. Well, there is the guy who tunes it an octave lower, like a cello. But really, if you can find adequate strings for the job, you can use just about any tuning you want, within reason.

And then what is your high E above the A? Some ukers have tried fishing line for the E, but it breaks.
    I think you're confusing this with a violin tuning fifths set here. I can see how an octave higher E would be under a lot of tension and break, even on a smaller uke. But I am using a regular ol' normal baritone uke E string.

Well, I dunno. Maybe Iím all wrong, and, if so, Iím sorry. I like to play in fifths, and thatís why I wanted to know how you did it. I hope you enjoy playing in fifths.
    I do enjoy it, but even more than that, I don't think I could learn another tuning, or would want to spend the time at this stage of my life. I like to be able to pick up an instrument and not have to think about what my left hand is doing. There are enough challenges with the right hand! And as far as strings go, I'm pretty used to mixing strings from different sets. When I play viola or violin, I never use trebles and basses from the same sets. In that situation, it's personal preferences, but it's become second nature to buy those strings individually; you just learn to find what works best.

I guess Iíll just stick to my Concert banjolele, my Irish tenor banjo and my mando-banjo when I wanna play in fifths.
    Well, if you ever decide to get adventurous and play ukes in fifths, there are others around here who do that. There are lots of threads talking about what strings people use. Good luck!

bratsche

Bratsche, you should consider maybe mandolin, except you play with fingers? Some spider left hand fingers?

Anyways you are certainly not anymore an ukulele player.
    Baritone scale fingerboard is not an uke scale in my opinion, but with your tuning it certainly is not anymore even an ukulele.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 10-12-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Thread Information