Anyone use the nickel/ivoroid PEGHED Planetary geared tuners.?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Just noticed there is a new type of PEGHED Planetary geared nickel/ivoroid tuners available. These have a little nicer look to me than the Gotoh UPTs. And seem to have a larger (better) winding spindle than UPTs.

Anybody use them yet?

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/peghead-planetary-nickel-ivoroid-8mm-tuners

Peghead+85mm+Nickel+%26+Ivoroid+01_cleaned_white.png

Golden+Atomic+Baritone+-6_web.png

Golden+Atomic+Baritone+-3_web.png

Last edited:
I haven't tried them yet, but I love the old banjo tuner look, even down to the leather washer. They have the potential to feel quite different than regular Pegheds since these are steel bodied vs. the aluminum body of the ones we all know. I will be trying a set.

I'm intrigued. I've had a few ukes with Pegheds, and while I liked them, I didn't love the look and found them a little finicky. I love UPTs, even though I find them a little bulky visually. These new Pegheds really evoke the classic friction tuner look, while presumably offering easier fine tuning. I wouldn't run out and buy a set, but I sure wouldn't mind trying out a uke that already has them.

I'm intrigued. I've had a few ukes with Pegheds, and while I liked them, I didn't love the look and found them a little finicky. I love UPTs, even though I find them a little bulky visually. These new Pegheds really evoke the classic friction tuner look, while presumably offering easier fine tuning. I wouldn't run out and buy a set, but I sure wouldn't mind trying out a uke that already has them.

^^ This pretty much summarizes my view.

Congrats, Hodge, on a nice Pohaku acquisition. Can't wait to read your review!

Let us know how you like them Hodge once you have given the new tuners a go. I like the look

Those look great! I have Gotoh UPTs on one of my ukes, and I do love them, but they are large on the back of the headstock.

I looked carefully at these as I think they look magnificent AND would trust their quality. The ukulele in question had a thinnish headstock and my conclusion was that these would protrude too much, or look too large. They are longer than the regular Pegheds. So I went with the UPTs and am well pleased. I would love to try these on a thicker headstock such as my Mele tenor, but they are not cheap! Thanks for sharing these pictures. I am looking forward to more responses and reviews.

These look great. Years ago I had pegheds on an instrument and loved the way they worked.

Let us know how you like them Hodge once you have given the new tuners a go. I like the look

The Pohaku with the PEGHED Planetary geared nickel/ivoroid tuners arrived. They work great, hold well. Easy to turn. they do stick out the back a bit longer than friction tuners, but still look great. With the longer length, I probably would prefer the GOTOHs on sopranos and concerts. But I do prefer these new PEGHEDs on this baritone (and probably on tenors too). Definitely a cleaner look from the front without the washers.

2017-10-21 21.02.46.jpg2017-10-21 21.04.24.jpg

Thanks for comments Hodge. Do they have long enough post forcstrings to wind? Looks like it. I was surprised that UPT' s were so short!

Thanks for comments Hodge. Do they have long enough post forcstrings to wind? Looks like it. I was surprised that UPT' s were so short!

There is a longer version of the upt tuners and measuring the thickness of the headstock is needed prior to ordering.

Yes, the posts for winding are longer and wider than the UPTs. With UPTs I usually have to rewind strings on the posts as strings stretch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom