Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the nickel/ivoroid PEGHED Planetary geared tuners.?

Default Anyone use the nickel/ivoroid PEGHED Planetary geared tuners.?

Just noticed there is a new type of PEGHED Planetary geared nickel/ivoroid tuners available. These have a little nicer look to me than the Gotoh UPTs. And seem to have a larger (better) winding spindle than UPTs.

Anybody use them yet?

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/p...oid-8mm-tuners

Last edited by Doc_J; 10-13-2017 at 04:34 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I haven't tried them yet, but I love the old banjo tuner look, even down to the leather washer. They have the potential to feel quite different than regular Pegheds since these are steel bodied vs. the aluminum body of the ones we all know. I will be trying a set.
    Rodney Paul Adams

I'm intrigued. I've had a few ukes with Pegheds, and while I liked them, I didn't love the look and found them a little finicky. I love UPTs, even though I find them a little bulky visually. These new Pegheds really evoke the classic friction tuner look, while presumably offering easier fine tuning. I wouldn't run out and buy a set, but I sure wouldn't mind trying out a uke that already has them.

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    I'm intrigued. I've had a few ukes with Pegheds, and while I liked them, I didn't love the look and found them a little finicky. I love UPTs, even though I find them a little bulky visually. These new Pegheds really evoke the classic friction tuner look, while presumably offering easier fine tuning. I wouldn't run out and buy a set, but I sure wouldn't mind trying out a uke that already has them.
    ^^ This pretty much summarizes my view.

Congrats, Hodge, on a nice Pohaku acquisition. Can't wait to read your review!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Let us know how you like them Hodge once you have given the new tuners a go. I like the look

Thanks for posting this Hodge, they look quite nice.
    All the best,
    Campbell

Those look great! I have Gotoh UPTs on one of my ukes, and I do love them, but they are large on the back of the headstock.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

I looked carefully at these as I think they look magnificent AND would trust their quality. The ukulele in question had a thinnish headstock and my conclusion was that these would protrude too much, or look too large. They are longer than the regular Pegheds. So I went with the UPTs and am well pleased. I would love to try these on a thicker headstock such as my Mele tenor, but they are not cheap! Thanks for sharing these pictures. I am looking forward to more responses and reviews.
    Martin c. 1934
    Martin OXK
    Kamaka pineapple gold label - 1950s
    Mele pineapple - koa and mahogany - modern
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s

These look great. Years ago I had pegheds on an instrument and loved the way they worked.

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    Let us know how you like them Hodge once you have given the new tuners a go. I like the look
    The Pohaku with the PEGHED Planetary geared nickel/ivoroid tuners arrived. They work great, hold well. Easy to turn. they do stick out the back a bit longer than friction tuners, but still look great. With the longer length, I probably would prefer the GOTOHs on sopranos and concerts. But I do prefer these new PEGHEDs on this baritone (and probably on tenors too). Definitely a cleaner look from the front without the washers.

2017-10-21 21.02.46.jpg2017-10-21 21.04.24.jpg
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Thread Information