Soprano options

I don’t want this to sound rude or disrespectful but won’t the Flea models that you are now considering (with their enhancements) bust your ($ 200) budget by some wide margin? I think that your budget is plenty big enough for you do get what you need (first needed) within it, some other models under your consideration are more towards half of your budget. Of course being flexible is good but price drift is less so and might also unwittingly lead you away from your original objectives (a passable sounding Uke that fits into a small space, has space for your particular fingers, is intended for camping and water travel use and doesn’t cost that much). I’ve copied some of your original post as below in italics:

“So my thought is either a soprano or long neck soprano in the future. I've messed around with a couple sopranos and they are ok, but a little tight on room for my short chubby fingers. Definitely like the spacing better than the tenor.

My requirement would be either a soprano with a 1.5 inch nut, or a long neck soprano. Satin finish only. Prefer a laminate since it will be a camping & water travel uke. Under $200 would be great.”

A while back there was a thread or two on wide nut Sopranos, it might be worth your while checking it/them out. I think that you’d be surprised to discover for yourself that a wide nut Soprano has more finger space than a conventional Concert scale and nut (well that’s what I find with my own short chubby fingers).
Yes, you are correct. That's why the Flea wasn't an immediate choice. It would certainly seem like an excellent choice as a camping/knockabout uke, but at a much higher price. I am always leery of ukuleles that are made of any plastic material, since I disliked the Kala Waterman. I admit I'm a sucker for wood.

Yes, you are correct. That's why the Flea wasn't an immediate choice. It would certainly seem like an excellent choice as a camping/knockabout uke, but at a much higher price. I am always leery of ukuleles that are made of any plastic material, since I disliked the Kala Waterman. I admit I'm a sucker for wood.

The Flea/Fluke is a completely different animal than the Waterman/Outdoor Uke/Bug's Gear ukes. Thosr are COMPLETELY plastic. The Flea has a wood neck and soundboard and sounds really good. I have owned an OU, Waterman, and Flea. The only one I kept is the flea. Additionally, I wouldn't be too put off on the plastic fretboard. It really doesn't feel much different. And like Graham indicated, the point of the uke is to have the ability to take a little abuse, fit in a compact space, and sound good. The flea excels at all of those. You could easily find a used soprano in your price range and if it didn't work for you, easily sell it. They rarely last long on the marketplace.

Speaking of plastic, those old Maccaferris actually sound quite good. Not quite like wood, but really nice and quite loud. I don't think that the Waterman comes close.

You might check a Mahilele. Made like a Flea, plays like a Flea, sounds like a Flea, quite a bit less than half the price. I love mine.

I decided to go with the Islander AS-4. Bought from Uke Republic. $139 with gigbag, so well within my budget of $200. My Islander tenor is well made, so I'm confident that the soprano will be as well. Acacia laminate, so it should be sturdy. Satin finish. 1.5 inch nut and 14 frets to the body. Not a long neck, but perhaps a little extra room??? We shall see. I'll post a NUD when it arrives. A soprano Flea would have been sweet, but I just didn't have the $$$ to spend on what amounts to an experiment with a soprano size uke. If I jive with the soprano size, maybe I'll add a Kiwaya in the future?

I decided to go with the Islander AS-4. Bought from Uke Republic. $139 with gigbag, so well within my budget of $200. My Islander tenor is well made, so I'm confident that the soprano will be as well. Acacia laminate, so it should be sturdy. Satin finish. 1.5 inch nut and 14 frets to the body. Not a long neck, but perhaps a little extra room??? We shall see. I'll post a NUD when it arrives. A soprano Flea would have been sweet, but I just didn't have the $$$ to spend on what amounts to an experiment with a soprano size uke. If I jive with the soprano size, maybe I'll add a Kiwaya in the future?
We look forward to hearing about it.

Thanks for letting us know. Considering all of your particular objectives I think that you have made a very reasoned and logical choice. I have the Concert version and believe it’s nice instrument. Plus one more vote here for a request to hear how you get on with it once it arrives.

As nearly a complete aside I’d be interested to hear, from anyone who’s played one, how it compares to its Mahogony sibling (other than different vineer, fractionally different scale and different neck to body joint point).

Last edited:
So, I have an AS-4 as well. I named it "Little Bear" I have been playing it quite a bit. I did go though a couple of sets of strings. I now have PHD strings and they bring out more warmth in the uke, well balanced, not as boomy as nylgut originals. http://www.jasonarimoto.com/phd-strings/

I like the size and the materials. And, quite frankly, better made than my Kala. Also so light weight. I hope you love it too.

NUD. My new Islander AS-4 soprano arrived today. The 14 frets to the body coupled with the 1.5 inch nut feels very comfortable. Plenty of room for my fingers, and it doesn't seem tiny or cramped like some sopranos I tried. I'll do a string change pretty soon I think. I haven't had much string experience, but I do have some Oasis Bright High G strings that I could try. I put some on my starter laminate concert and they sound good. I really like the Living Waters that are on my KoAloha concert. I'm very happy with this new uke so far, and I think it will be a fine outdoor companion. The size will definitely fit in my sea kayak much better. One sour note.....the padded gig bag that was an added cost is quite a letdown. Pretty flimsy looking and not nearly enough padding. I'll find a better one.

Here are a couple pictures. Yes, I did add one embellishment to the headstock....The uke's name is Turtle.

Attachments

• DSCF1495.jpg
    DSCF1495.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF1497.jpg
    DSCF1497.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
NUD. My new Islander AS-4 soprano arrived today. The 14 frets to the body coupled with the 1.5 inch nut feels very comfortable. Plenty of room for my fingers, and it doesn't seem tiny or cramped like some sopranos I tried. I'll do a string change pretty soon I think. I haven't had much string experience, but I do have some Oasis Bright High G strings that I could try. I put some on my starter laminate concert and they sound good. I really like the Living Waters that are on my KoAloha concert. I'm very happy with this new uke so far, and I think it will be a fine outdoor companion. The size will definitely fit in my sea kayak much better. One sour note.....the padded gig bag that was an added cost is quite a letdown. Pretty flimsy looking and not nearly enough padding. I'll find a better one.

Here are a couple pictures. Yes, I did add one embellishment to the headstock....The uke's name is Turtle.

Here is the case I got for my AS-4. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MBND9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Canvas covered hard case with very good interior padding.

Interestingly, my AS-4 doesn't have a turtle logo on it. :(

Top Bottom