New uke c sting resonance

jcdoc107

Reaction score
New to the uke and any musical instrument for that matter. Picked up a Kala KA-TEM. After a few days I noticed what seems to be an abnormal resonance that I did not notice the first few days and I don't seem to notice in videos of other uke's. Strings are Aquila Nylgut.

I bought from a shop online and it came with a setup. I emailed the shop and their advice was try different strings.

Is this just a bad string, something more complex, or normal?

I have attached a file of me just strumming the open stings.

I'm not sure what in that sound sample is the issue you're talking about. Hm. Maybe a sample of just the C string would be better.
Also, knowing if you hear it on open note only or fretted notes on the C too.
Changing strings could change whatever you're hearing, as the seller said. Make sure you're in tune with an electronic tuner too.

I never found an unwound C string that I 100% liked the sound of. The one from the Aquila Reds set has been best, but they still sound a little dull to me. My best experience is with a wound C string, but that only really sounds good to me if the G is low and also wound (so that it is two wound and two unwound strings). Playing technique can matter, too. Try different angels when plucking the C string, see if you like the tone better.

The KA-TEM is a laminate, right? That may also contribute. Kiwaya make great laminates, but Kala isn't a brand I really like (I do like the sound of their cedar baritones and tenors), but it's popular around here. :)

I'm not sure what in that sound sample is the issue you're talking about. Hm. Maybe a sample of just the C string would be better.
Also, knowing if you hear it on open note only or fretted notes on the C too.
Changing strings could change whatever you're hearing, as the seller said. Make sure you're in tune with an electronic tuner too.

I guess to me it seems echoey after I strum so that when I play something fast if seems like it just builds and distorts everything. I don't seem to notice this when listening to other people play. Maybe I have just become sensitive to it and it's just normal. It does go away playing second fret or higher. I notice it still on the first.

Last edited:
I never found an unwound C string that I 100% liked the sound of. The one from the Aquila Reds set has been best, but they still sound a little dull to me. My best experience is with a wound C string, but that only really sounds good to me if the G is low and also wound (so that it is two wound and two unwound strings). Playing technique can matter, too. Try different angels when plucking the C string, see if you like the tone better.

The KA-TEM is a laminate, right? That may also contribute. Kiwaya make great laminates, but Kala isn't a brand I really like (I do like the sound of their cedar baritones and tenors), but it's popular around here. :)

Yes. It's a laminate.

I guess to me it seems echoey after I strum so that when I play something fast if seems like it just builds and distorts everything. I don't seem to notice this when listening to other people play. Maybe I have just become sensitive to it and it's just normal. It does go away playing second fret or higher. I notice it still on the first.
Hm. Interesting. It could indeed be what you said "Maybe I have just become sensitive to it and it's just normal." I've heard little things in some instruments that I'm not in love with too sometimes. There's a certain sound I'm thinking of specifically, but I can't put it into words. It is caused by an overpowering sounding C string sometimes. So maybe I'm just now getting what you were saying. It might be what you're hearing...so I get why Mivo is mentioning wound C strings (I prefer non-wound C strings personally). Since it does bother you, I think I'd try a different kind of strings for sure. Different strings can change the sound and feel of the uke quite a bit. My personal preference is the La Bella uke pro series right now, but some people don't like those. They're nylon, so more warm sounding but balanced, to my ears. It seems a lot more people prefer fluorocarbon strings. Something like a Worth clear is a bright string with good definition. Those might do the trick for you....Just a thought....Strings are very personal though. Just make sure you look up some tutorials on changing uke strings and get them installed well and then of course it'll take time to stretch so they stay in tune better.

Another thought, before even trying new strings: Try playing differently. If you play too hard it can really distort and hurt the tone of your instrument. Some instruments can be played harder than others before the sound starts to fall apart. So try playing quieter vs. harder and see how that effects the sound for you. Also, try to just barely graze the strings as you're strumming vs. digging into them more. My guess is digging in too much will amplify that sound you don't like. Try using just index finger, multiple fingers at once, etc. etc. A big part of your sound comes from just the way you strum. You can gain more feel for this kind of thing the more you play and practice. That'll help you get more of the sound(s) you want.

Last edited:
Personally for me, if I find a G or C string sounding too boomy or overwhelming, I tend to find success by using wound strings ( Thomastik ( G/C ) or Fremont (G) to tighten up the sound but if used on a bright sounding uke, ( Spruce topped ) it might get a little harsh when strumming but will sound great when finger picked.

Top Bottom