Song Help Request Strumming for U2 song...

jhrohrig

Reaction score
I have had my uke since December, and I'm getting so much better but still struggle with things that may seem obvious for others.

I am working on this version of U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". Although I've watched this many times at different speeds and have scribbled down several strumming patterns that might be close I still can't quite figure this out...

https://youtu.be/p28eBqyyo7A

Thanks for any help!

-Jessie Rohrig (science teacher from Oregon)

Hi, Jessie! It is cool song. I love it.

This is basic syncopated strum. syncopated strum is not easy, if you are beginner. I used to sing "down down up up down up" during I walk. I use both legs to learn this strum. I think there is nice video tutorial for syncopated strum on ukulele mike in YouTube.

Syncopated strum skips 3rd down beat in order to stress 3rd up (see the figure above). It bring the rhythm very cool. But it makes the rhythm bit complicated. In usual, we stress down beats but it has no 3rd down and 3rd up has stress. More over he uses re-entrant (high G) ukulele, hence it is bit hard to get rhythm. I show blue Csus4, which is only played as hammer on in the up beat timing, hence it is not strummed but the only index finger make this sound. Feel free to ask me questions.

Last edited:
Works for "With or Without You" too.

Thanks zztush! This was very helpful! I'm starting to get it! Though, it'll be a few practice sessions before I can do this pattern and sing at the same time!

I had the pattern down before but not with the placement of the hammer on/off...

I deeply appreciate the help!

I remember long ago when learning the strum to "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman I would get the strum down while watching a tutorial. Then forget how to do it on my own. Finally, finally got it down on my own and then it took quite some time before I could sing at the same time. Guess what I'm saying is..."Hang in there! It will happen!" :)

Top Bottom