Season 296 - The Simpsons

Desert Pavement

Rock Doctor
UU VIP
Reaction score
No video this week, and I will try to keep text brief...

This week let's play music from artists that have appeared on The Simpsons. This show has always made me smile, and I at least could use a little more of that lately.

A good place to start, if you haven't already thought of something you'd like to do, is here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6228944/the-simpsons-every-music-guest-chronological-order

In the case of artists who are also in (or better known from) bands, you may play songs by that band. For example, George Harrison or The Beatles; Carrie Brownstein or Sleater Kinney (I'd like to see that actually). Other artists that have appeared on The Simpsons since the publication of the Billboard list are: Sammy Hagar, Heavy Young Heathens, Matthew Sweet, Pharrell Williams, Johnny Mathis, Yo-Yo Ma, Donald Fagen (of Steely Dan), Snoop Dogg, Common, RZA.

If you are feeling particularly cheeky you can play a song from the show (e.g., Stop the Planet of the Apes I Want to Get Off, etc.).

For the Songsmiths out there, either satirical songs (in keeping with the theme), or songs of hope or renewal (something else I could use a little more of lately), or songs about a character from the show.

Usual rules... multi tracking or other instruments ok, but ukulele front and center, begin and end at midnight Hawaii time Sunday and Sunday, collaborations are great, songs must be newly recorded for this season, even if they have been previously performed.

This Season has NO Song Limit.

No prizes, but for every song played myself and Mrs. Pavement are going to donate $1 to disaster relief for the Sonoma and Napa fires. https://www.redwoodcu.org/northbayfirerelief

We will split the total 4-ways equally towards relief efforts in each of the four affected counties.

So, in a way, Randy may have actually made an accurate prediction.

Now with More Playlist!

Last edited:
So many fun artists on that list! Great debut season, Andy.

Outstanding theme mate! Where to start!?

When I saw the theme, it was "groan" because I have never watched the Simpsons.

Then I followed the link on your OP...

Hey Andy,

Hope you stay safe.

Not long after The Simpsons went on the air, the 63rd greatest guitarist of all time (Rolling Stone said, anyway) recorded one of the first covers of the show theme. The late Danny Gatton with his many stringed instruments.

I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who's never seen a full episode of The Simpsons, I'm more of a Flintstones type of guy.
Anyway, Chris Martin was the lead singer with Coldplay so here goes, yabbadabbado. Sorry, I'm a stupid type of guy too.

I was really happy to see Blink 182 and the Ramones on the list (with lots of other artists I would love to cover). Here's my first entry. The kids decided it was snack time near the end of the song even though we had just had dinner like 10 minutes ago. They were patient enough, though.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers appearance is an episode that sticks in the mind because it was full of cameos. Think they "did" Give It Away but with some re-done lyrics as suggested by Krusty. This song came on the radio while driving last night though so I've decided to give it a go.

One or more of the writers had to be a fan of NRBQ, because otherwise there's no way they would have made the list. An animated version of the band even "played" on the show. I've probably seen them perform 15 or 20 times, so there's a soft spot here.

John Sebastian's a friend of the guys in the lineup who played this song (they backed him up on a tour or two), and he played dobro on the original recording.

Top Bottom