Season 296 - The Simpsons

mercy, buckets ...!

Buckets of Rain is a Dylan song but Bette Midler has recorded it and performed it with Bob Dylan. She sings "Wind Beneath My Wings" in Season 4. with Krusty.

This is pretty much my favorite song by the late great Tom Petty, and this song was on The Simpsons, so I think it's a good choice. I tried here, which means far, far from perfect.

Since he appeared on the show, it's as good a time as any to pay tribute to the late, great Tom Petty.

Tried to do some picking on this Johnny Cash song. I really should have an ending worked up before I start though. Lol

My Sunday morning Petty-storm continues! This is a Petty cover of a Beck song. Warning: Here there be profanity. (The title should serve as sufficient warning)

Season 296. Submission 1. "All My Loving" (Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and recorded by The Beatles, 1963)

Ok - one of my favorite tv episodes ever is an early Simpsons episode. Homer has failed a social studies test and the teacher has begun to lecture him. He can't focus and the audience hears the teacher as Homer hears the teacher: "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH." Teach notices that he isn't focused and he gets told there will be a meeting with his folks and the principal. At this meeting the Principal starts talking and the audience gets to hear the principal through Homer's ears:
"BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH." Ok - it doesn't sound so great here maybe, but I'm STILL laughing every time I imagine it.

Great theme, Andy, and hope you have a great time hosting! Thank you!

I'm bringing a classic because the show is a classic. Here's classic Paul McCartney. Classic Beatles.

(Played on a 5 string tenor)

No video this week, and I will try to keep text brief...

This week let's play music from artists that have appeared on The Simpsons. This show has always made me smile, and I at least I could use a little more of that lately.

A good place to start, if you haven't already though of something you'd like to do, is here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6228944/the-simpsons-every-music-guest-chronological-order

In the case of artists who are also in (or better known from) bands, you may play songs by that band. For example, George Harrison or The Beatles; Carrie Brownstein or Sleater Kinney (I'd like to see that actually). Other artists since the publication of the Billboard list are: Sammy Hagar, Heavy Young Heathens, Matthew Sweet, Pharrell Williams, Johnny Mathis, Yo-Yo Ma, Donald Fagen (of Steely Dan), Snoop Dogg, Common, RZA.

If you are feeling particularly cheeky you can play a song from the show (e.g., Stop the Planet of the Apes I Want to Get Off, etc.).

For the Songsmiths out there, either satirical songs (in keeping with the theme), or songs of hope or renewal (something else I could use a little more of lately).

Usual rules... multi tracking or other instruments ok, but ukulele front and center, begin and end at midnight Hawaii time Sunday and Sunday, collaborations are great, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This Season has NO Song Limit.

No prizes, but for every song played myself and Mrs. Pavement are going to donate $1 to disaster relief for the Sonoma and Napa fires. https://www.redwoodcu.org/northbayfirerelief

We will split the total 4-ways equally towards relief efforts in each of the four affected counties.

So, in a way, Randy may have actually made an accurate prediction.

Hi Andy, just wondering where the link to the YT playlist is, it's the way I like to watch.

Hi Andy, just wondering where the link to the YT playlist is, it's the way I like to watch.

Andy explained in the anticipation thread, they will have no internet until Sunday, they wrote this:

We decided last night to head for the mountains tomorrow morning to escape the smoke from the Sonoma and Napa County fires. Expect sSeason 296 to go up late tonight or early tomorrow morning before we leave for a place with no internet until Sunday afternoon. Sorry for the irregularity, especially seeing as how this is my first hosting gig.

So I guess the playlist is not going to be up until they return, unless somebody else makes one of course ;).

Andy explained in the anticipation thread, they will have no internet until Sunday, they wrote this:

We decided last night to head for the mountains tomorrow morning to escape the smoke from the Sonoma and Napa County fires. Expect sSeason 296 to go up late tonight or early tomorrow morning before we leave for a place with no internet until Sunday afternoon. Sorry for the irregularity, especially seeing as how this is my first hosting gig.

So I guess the playlist is not going to be up until they return, unless somebody else makes one of course ;).

Thanks Wim, I hadn't seen that thread.

Hey Andy,

Hope you stay safe.

Not long after The Simpsons went on the air, the 63rd greatest guitarist of all time (Rolling Stone said, anyway) recorded one of the first covers of the show theme. The late Danny Gatton with his many stringed instruments.

Thanks Rick. I love that surf guitar sound. What a great version.

When I saw the theme, it was "groan" because I have never watched the Simpsons.

Then I followed the link on your OP...

I hope you find something you like Geoff. My intention was for there to be a little for everyone, based on what I have seen people play over the last year or so that I have been participating.

Top Bottom