Season 296 - The Simpsons

I had hoped to find either Richard Thompson or Leon Redbone on the Simpsons guest singer list. No such luck.

Richard Thompson did a stage performance with Harry Shearer.

He also did a video that was animated by the same people that did the Simpsons. This is his video:

Last edited:
I had hoped to find either Richard Thompson or Leon Redbone on the Simpsons guest singer list. No such luck.

He also did a video that was animated by the same people that did the Simpsons.

Yes, the absence of RT and Leon are disappointing.

Another disappointing absence: Warren Zevon.

But I'll Thornton Rule this one. On WZ's great final album "The Wind," Zevon and Bruce Springsteen did this one. The Boss shredded the guitar throughout. And they won the Grammy for best vocal performance by a group or duo. So I hope it counts.

We've been lucky here. It's the first night we'll run the furnace since March, so the solid-wood Ohanas have to go to their humidified cases when I'm not playing them. Here's a last hurrah for the soprano in the open air for awhile ...

Ok, Andy, I promised you a song that wasn’t Blink or The Ramones. It was difficult though, with all of that ripe fruit still hanging there. 😁 I’ve always loved this simple refugee song. Colin Meloy is such a good story teller. I felt it was necessary to dabble with background vocals with this one, something I’ve never tried before. It didn’t turn out great, but I’m excited to be learning new things.

Homer sang this song while sitting in his car, oblivious to the pandemonium erupting behind him when the audience rioted at the Spinal Tap concert.

He also did a video that was animated by the same people that did the Simpsons. This is his video:

I'll allow it via Thornton Rule, given that Shearer plays a pretty prominent role on the show (and appeared as Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap).

Yes, the absence of RT and Leon are disappointing.

Another disappointing absence: Warren Zevon.

But I'll Thornton Rule this one. On WZ's great final album "The Wind," Zevon and Bruce Springsteen did this one. The Boss shredded the guitar throughout. And they won the Grammy for best vocal performance by a group or duo. So I hope it counts.

We've been lucky here. It's the first night we'll run the furnace since March, so the solid-wood Ohanas have to go to their humidified cases when I'm not playing them. Here's a last hurrah for the soprano in the open air for awhile ...

It's a good thing I like WZ. Bruce Springsteen only has ever been mentioned, and appeared once (I think) as a corpse in the intro to Treehouse of Horror XXV. Tough to think of a better winter send off for the Ohana soprano.

Another fun-filled day

Thanks all for your continued entries, everything from songs sung by characters on the show, to those by bands that have appeared, to "Man I'm glad they found a way to Thornton Rule that!". The playlist should be up-to-date to here. If I have left you off (I swear it was inadvertent) then let me know and I will put you on.

It's a bit poor, with so many artists to choose from, that I actually chose Alison Krauss, and her involvement in this song is somewhat less than Robert Plant's, however I got a bit of tunnel vision once I started to practice this song and, well, here it is...

Discovered this great little 3 chord song by Shawn Colvin and Steve Earle just now. Gave it a went for season 296 as Shawn has done some voices on The Simpsons...

Just a shout out to our friends across the pond in Ireland and the UK. They rarely see a hurricane up there and Hurricane Ophelia is impacting things greatly.

And, of course, our friends in California are not forgotten ...... and for that matter, neither are our friends in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and Mexico. And I hope I didn't leave anyone out!

But today - my heart goes out to Ireland and the UK. Be safe!

Very kind of you Linda! From where I am sitting (in the North East of England) we got away with it very lightly - strong winds last night, some trees down here and there, but nothing worse than a usual stormy day. Ireland, Wales, and the West of England & Scotland got it much worse, with a lot of destruction and sadly, some fatalities.

What we did see here yesterday was an extraordinary sky, with a yellow/orange tint, and the sun appearing as a perfect disc through the haze. All caused by the hurricane whipping up sand from the Sahara, and adding in some debris from forest fires in Portugal and Spain. I don't recall seeing that before.

A while ago Robin suggested I give this song a go if the opportunity ever arose because he wasn't sure if it could be done on a uke.

I'm not sure if I've answered that question, and I'm not a massive Smashing Pumpkins fan but any excuse to grunge out is worth taking in my book.

Very kind of you Linda! From where I am sitting (in the North East of England) we got away with it very lightly - strong winds last night, some trees down here and there, but nothing worse than a usual stormy day. Ireland, Wales, and the West of England & Scotland got it much worse, with a lot of destruction and sadly, some fatalities.

What we did see here yesterday was an extraordinary sky, with a yellow/orange tint, and the sun appearing as a perfect disc through the haze. All caused by the hurricane whipping up sand from the Sahara, and adding in some debris from forest fires in Portugal and Spain. I don't recall seeing that before.

Yeah it was a bit post-apocalyptic yesterday wasn't it? Only other time I've seen something like that was about 10 years ago when I was living in Sydney and a massive dust cloud blew in one morning leaving everything very Orange.

Sky's still looking a bit angry this morning but thankfully we've escaped the worst of it down here.

I just learned this song today.
"You Are So Beautiful" the song by Joe Cocker, was sung by Marge and Homer together .. Here's a link added to the part in the show where they sing the song to each other https://youtu.be/XUieJQD7Rrs

Hope you enjoy the song ...

Last edited:
I found a way to sneak in Leon Redbone. He did a duet with Zooey Deschanel on "Baby it's Cold Outside" and of course, Zooey Deschanel, was in "Apocalypse Cow". I better get dressed now so I can shoot some videos.

I found a way to sneak in Leon Redbone. He did a duet with Zooey Deschanel on "Baby it's Cold Outside" and of course, Zooey Deschanel, was in "Apocalypse Cow". I better get dressed now so I can shoot some videos.

:rulez:
The theme this week is songs from musicians who have appeared on The Simpsons, or songs sung by characters on the show, or originals about those characters, or satirizing something, or about hope/renewal.

Sorry to dampen your spirits Cornfield, but Leon Redbone is a bit of a stretch. Unless you are going to play “Baby It’s Cold Outside”?

Last edited:
That fun came through Dean. Your birds reminded me of the original poster for Woodstock.

I’m going to include this because I neglected to state it in the season guidelines at the beginning of the thread, but in the future performances should be newly recorded for the Season, even if you have previously recorded them. My fault, and I’ve updated the original post.

Thanks Andy, I was uncertain about posting an older pre-existing video, I figured it would either pass or could be deleted , I'll keep it in mind to do a new video only for future seasons entries.
Happy Ukeing :)

TOM PETTY! Can't believe he's gone. Sad face.
Here's vid #1 from me.

Have literally just been listening to your TOm Petty tribute show on The Song Stuck etc.... An awesome and fitting tribute, highly recommended to any forum users who like good music.

(Sorry for thread hijack Desert Pavement :))

Top Bottom