Season 296 - The Simpsons

Two from Tom W pt.1

I realized this week that I had not learned any Tom Waits songs, even though I am a fan. So I have worked on a couple.

I saw Waits once, but not in a musical performance. The film Ironweed (local writer and setting) was doing a scene across the street from where my wife worked, and I was there to pick her up. Interesting to see the setup for the filming, but not exciting.

In the Neighborhood

This one has already been done once, but BEV encouraged me to do my own as well, so here's Judas Priest again:

This is my 2nd favorite Tom Petty song. Had fun trying it. I need to keep these in my repertoire.

I didn't see Green Day on the list when I first looked at it, but I remembered seeing a cartoon version of them performing somewhere, so I double-checked and they were in the Simpsons movie!

There's some kid interference in this one. They're pretty wound up today. Maybe it's the fall festival/pre-Halloween candy.

Shadow of a Doubt (A Complex Kid)

My contribution to this Season's tributes to Tom Petty (hope he's in a forgiving frame of mind ;) ). A bit of clipping on the mic, but too late to rectify (it only became apparent on the YT upload).

Dedicated of course to our very own Cloverdale Kid.

Edit: forgot to mention that's my new Kingstown Ukes 'backpacker' soprano, designed to fit into your overhead luggage. Niall Kavanagh (for it is he) also built my 'Telecaster' semi-acoustic concert uke.

Last edited:

I'm writing material for a possible album about dogs, so of course I had to write a song about the Simpsons' pet greyhound.

296-9

Another Tony Bennett tune. I've not done this one before. My guitarist in the old Dixieland band always wanted to do this one.

Some of the words are slightly different from Elton's original because I'm more used to hearing the cover by Juice Newton. This is another from that batch of songs for which I went looking for chord sheets when I got my first uke.

My daughter and I both thought I should play this one. Luckily, she has an official Disney fake book that helped a lot with the chords. She pointed out after I'd made the video that it would have been more authentic if I'd used my armadillo-shell ukulele.

First time I've ever done a song for both seasons I think. Jack Black appeared in Simpsons and starred in School of Rock.

Top Bottom