Fake Martin Ukulele?

Style3Ben

Reaction score
Hi All.

I noticed this ukulele on a certain online auction site when it was first listed, and after looking at the photo's thought "That's a terrible copy"

However, It's now currently been bidded up to over £300 GBP ($400).

Am I missing something? It has a sprayed on martin logo on the head, wrong shape 'moustache' shape at bottom of fingerboard and the bridge looks wrong.

What does everyone else think?

Overall.jpg Headstock.jpg
Bridge.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-MAHOGANY-CONCERT-UKULELE-/232517283370?hash=item36231c2e2a:g:Yt0AAOSwa9NZ21Te

Take Care,

Ben.

I know next to nothing about Martins. But, having looked again, i think you are correct.
The seller, hasn't originally named it s a Martin - but is a regular seller of Ukes, so I think they might know its not quite right.
Don't like that they have added the comment at the bottom of the ad themselves that someone else has said its a Martin....
Smells funny.... but I hope that I am wrong - and its a really really rare one!

Last edited:
Looks like a Martin SO model - perhaps strung through the body.

I'm not a Martin expert, so I just searched vintage Martin ukulele images and came up with dozens of pictures of vintage Martin ukuleles that look exactly like that one, including the bridge.

hard to tell from the pics. I'd like to see if it has the Martin hot stamp inside and that's what I'd ask of the seller if I was interested. They used really nice mahog on the old ones too, and that grain doesn't look quite right to me.

The end of the fretboard is a little different than my 1930's Style 0, but...
IMG_1640.jpg

No doubt in my mind , this uke is an obvious fake.:agree:

Last edited:
It is listed as a concert ukulele, which may explain differences or refute authenticity. However the seller said there is no stamp on the inside so it was not listed a Martin. The lack of any markings on the inside probably seals the deal that it is not a real Martin. But I'm not knowledgable enough on Martins. It would have to be played to determine its value rather than for collectibility.

John

Sure look different to me:

40's Martin neck end
40s Martin neck end.JPG

This supposed Martin
Supposed Martin neck end.JPG

40s Martin bridge
14.JPG

This supposed Martin bridge
Supposed Martin bridge.jpg

It is not a Martin now and probably never was. Too many things are off. I hope the buyer gets a good sound out of it and many years of enjoyment, that is what is really important.

As Spongeuke says I hope it at least sounds nice! That money would go a fair way towards a nice 50's Martin, not a concert but certainly a soprano.

Its back up for sale again - same seller, so prior sale must've fallen through. Not named as a Martin this time - but its definitely the same uke.

Its back up for sale again - same seller, so prior sale must've fallen through. Not named as a Martin this time - but its definitely the same uke.

Thanks for alerting us. I wonder whether it might be a marriage of parts or the result of a major salvage job. The neck might be genuine but with a new fretboard and the body repaired or with a new bridge. The label is missing but perhaps it was intentially removed by an earlier owner or repairer because the instrument is not completely original.

It’s now listed as an old mahogany Concert and ends on 25th November.

Last edited:
Top Bottom