Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timms vs Favilla

Default Timms vs Favilla

I made a little soundclip comparing a new Timms Style 0 with a 40's Favilla U2. Not great quality, just into my smartphone. I played a piece on uke #1, then on uke #2. Then another piece on uke #1, then on uke #2. What differences do you hear? Can you tell which is which? They are different, but I like em both.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/sh...ite/LLhf30sffy

Timms + Favilla.jpg
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

I really can't hear much difference...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Hard to tell listening on my computer. Initially my thought was that #1 is the Favilla, because it reminds me of one I used to own.

I could hear some difference in the 1st tune. I thought the 1st one was the Favilla too.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

They seemed very close to me. I’ve no idea which instrument is which but by a very small margin I preferred the second one. I think it’s great that Mr T sells these Ukes for us to buy and enjoy ...... just wish I could get one for half the 325 that they usually go for, and even then I think Mrs Greenbag would have something to say about profligate spending.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-16-2017 at 01:53 PM.

And the answer is......
    Mark & Dee Dee - enjoying the journey together.

SOPRANO: ..Kiwaya KTS-4, Famous FS-5; Favilla U2
    TEARDROP: Favilla 1920s
    CAMP UKE: .Lyons & Healy 1920s
    CONCERT: ..Kala KA-CG, Bruko Maple
    TENOR: ......Bruko Cedar over Zebrawood, Pono RTSH-PC,
    ...................Amahi UK220, Pono AT, KoAloha Pikake KTM-10
    BARITONE: ..Pono ABD, Kala KA-KBE-C
    BANJOLELE: TFW
    GUITALELE: Yamaha.
    A dozen guitars of all makes and sizes

Yes, the Favilla was first, the Timms was second.

I also find them very close, but slightly different. They are about equally loud. The Favilla has slightly more midrange, which makes it sound fuller to my ear. The Timms sounds clearer. Less midrange on the Timms brings out more lows and highs; the Timms has more bell like tones and jangle. I suppose that may change over time, as it's played more, since the Timms is only five months old.

When I recorded the Timms, it was a surprise, since the recording seemed to sound better than when I'm playing it. I guess that has to do with positioning: the sound behind the uke is different than what's heard out front. Probably the reason for side ports you see on some ukes.

After trying a bunch of sopranos, including 50's Kamaka, 40's Martin 0, and now the Timms (all great ukes), I realize just how good a value the Favilla ukes are, at 1/3 - 1/2 the price.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-18-2017 at 05:14 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Thank you for the fun comparison!!! I LOVE my Favilla!!
    Mark & Dee Dee - enjoying the journey together.

SOPRANO: ..Kiwaya KTS-4, Famous FS-5; Favilla U2
    TEARDROP: Favilla 1920s
    CAMP UKE: .Lyons & Healy 1920s
    CONCERT: ..Kala KA-CG, Bruko Maple
    TENOR: ......Bruko Cedar over Zebrawood, Pono RTSH-PC,
    ...................Amahi UK220, Pono AT, KoAloha Pikake KTM-10
    BARITONE: ..Pono ABD, Kala KA-KBE-C
    BANJOLELE: TFW
    GUITALELE: Yamaha.
    A dozen guitars of all makes and sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Yes, the Favilla was first, the Timms was second.

I also find them very close, but slightly different. They are about equally loud. The Favilla has slightly more midrange, which makes it sound fuller to my ear. The Timms sounds clearer. Less midrange on the Timms brings out more lows and highs; the Timms has more bell like tones and jangle. I suppose that may change over time, as it's played more, since the Timms is only three months old.

When I recorded the Timms, it was a surprise, since the recording seemed to sound better than when I'm playing it. I guess that has to do with positioning: the sound behind the uke is different than what's heard out front. Probably the reason for side ports you see on some ukes.

After trying a bunch of sopranos, including 50's Kamaka, 40's Martin 0, and now the Timms (all great ukes), I realize just how good a value the Favilla ukes are, at 1/3 - 1/2 the price.
    As above it was the second (Timms) that I preferred in the blind comparison, I don’t claim to have much of an ear for these things though.

Normally a second hand instrument is quite a bit cheaper than a new one so maybe it’s not completely fair to compare the two instruments (one new and one second hand) on price grounds. That said I often buy second hand (house, car, sheet music, etc.) as it can represent, to me, better value than new. Buying second hand isn’t without its risks and I’ve made some bad purchases but overall I’ve been ‘lucky’ enough.

I checked out the price of Favilla Ukes on eBay’s US site and did see some nice looking instruments that had sold in the price range indicated. Such instruments are typically not available in the U.K. and importing them from the US is overly expensive, but if I lived in the US then I’d likely buy a good (and cheaper) second hand classic over a new Uke.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-17-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    ....Normally a second hand instrument is quite a bit cheaper than a new one so maybe it’s not completely fair to compare the two instruments (one new and one second hand) on price grounds......
    The Timms was a used instrument. Although completed in June 2017, I am already the 3rd owner, while the Favilla is about 70 years old. I love the fact that vintage ukes are so much more affordable than vintage guitars.

Thread Information