Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timms vs Favilla

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I love the fact that vintage ukes are so much more affordable than vintage guitars.
    I wouldnt call that a fact. It all depends on whats written on the Headstock.
    - Ken Timms Soprano Koa

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    The Timms was a used instrument. Although completed in June 2017, I am already the 3rd owner, while the Favilla is about 70 years old. I love the fact that vintage ukes are so much more affordable than vintage guitars.
    Fair comment and I stand rightly corrected. I guess itís hard to judge value but it seems to me that the Timms will likely be around in seventy years time but the Favillia not quite so. One Uke is at the beginning of its playing life and the other well over halfway?

In the US vintage Ukes are affordable because theyíre not that rare, elsewhere the picture isnít quite so good (for buyers).

Whatever, thanks for doing this comparison. Itís really interesting to me to hear the Ukes.

There is no reason to think that the Favilla or other vintage instruments won't be around, as long as someone cares for them. There are orchestral strings played today that are much older.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    There is no reason to think that the Favilla or other vintage instruments won't be around, as long as someone cares for them. There are orchestral strings played today that are much older.
    I believe the above too, it’s perfectly possible but I did talk in terms of likelihood and lifespans. This recent thread does seem to overlap with my points: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...kuleles-better .

What’s interesting to me is the additional confirmation, through this blind comparison, that Timms Ukes do play up there (in terms of quality) with examples of past classics that have withstood the test(s) of time. What’s surprising is that the Timms has had so many owners already and that it sounds noticeably different to the player and the (recorder) audience - I guess the later is true, to a greater or lesser extent, of all Ukes.

My thanks again to Ukecaster for sharing his sound samples.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-19-2017 at 08:17 AM.

I also had a hard time telling the difference between your samples, but after doing many blind listenings in the past using high-end headphones, I found Timms to be right up there with vintage Martins, Favillas, etc.

While the Timms should open up over time and the Favilla is about where it will continue to be, I'm more curious how they compare in terms of feel and playability? What are your feelings in this regard?

Quote Originally Posted by Peace Train View Post
    I also had a hard time telling the difference between your samples, but after doing many blind listenings in the past using high-end headphones, I found Timms to be right up there with vintage Martins, Favillas, etc.

While the Timms should open up over time and the Favilla is about where it will continue to be, I'm more curious how they compare in terms of feel and playability? What are your feelings in this regard?
    The action on the Timms is about 3/32" at the 12th fret, just under 4/32" for the Favilla. Feels pretty similar to me. The Timms neck is also slightly thinner, top to bottom, feels great. However, the Timms has an ebony fretboard, saddle and nut, rosewood for the Favilla. The ebony board feels smoother/more slippery to me, allowing easier slides up the neck, and its fret ends, being brand new, are smoother. The Favilla has a miniscule bit of fret sprout, but not enough for me to want to file the fret edges. Overall, I'd score the Timms neck as 100, just perfection, the Favilla at 85. YMMV.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-05-2017 at 06:39 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Out of curiosity, what kind of strings are you using? Same on both?

The Timms presently has Worth CM, the Favilla has Martin M600s. I find them pretty similar. Next up to try is a fresh set of Worth Browns on the Timms.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Thread Information