Worth CL soprano strings

EDW

Reaction score
I have read a lot of the archives on the Worth strings as well as info on the Worth site. I used to use them, but never used the CL (clear light) version. How do those thinner strings feel? Do they feel substantial enough? Is the sound any softer? I am thinking they might be a good choice on a soprano to give it some extra sparkle, but I don't want to sacrifice tone or volume.

Last edited:
Worth CL/BL are the thinnest diameter uke strings I have seen, after testing over 100 different sets of strings over the past 4 yrs.

On soprano, I find they are great for strumming, but for me, these strings on soprano seem to lack the punch and attack for fingerstyle and campanella as they are a bit quieter than the CM/BM or CT/BT strings which are a thicker gauge each...

The link in my signature will take you to some discussions and evals where I have talked about these and other strings before.

I only play with my natural nails both flamenco style strumming and campanella style finger-picking, but if you are playing with finger pads only, you may find them too quiet and lacking articulation in the initial string attack, but some folks prefer that sound and feel.

I have also put the CL/BL strings on concert and tenor, as well as soprano, and due to the lighter gauge you need to play with a slightly lighter technique from your strumming hand, for due to the lower tension of these strings, you can easily overdrive them and end up with a muddy sound instead of crystal clear note separation (which happens when you play softer), but they are effortless for the fretting hand, which is a plus if you are having pain in the fretting hand.

But a lot also depends on how your uke is built, as a lighter/thinner top should be fine, but a uke with heavier bracing and thicker top, you may not get much volume. But for like $12 for a double set, it is a small price to pay in order to try for yourself. :)

Click in my signature below to see more string thoughts. :music:

It's just the G and A strings that have slightly less tension. I find them a little floppy, whereas the ones from the CM set are a bit too high tension. This is the reason why I favor Ken Middleton's Living Water strings as they sit in the middle, tension-wise (the C and E strings are slightly thinner compared to either Worth CL and CM, which my particular sopranos like as far as intonation is concerned, the C string especially). Buying Worth would be easier for me, but the difference is noticeable to me, so I import Ken's strings.

But as always with strings, you have to try them out on your instruments when you play. I didn't try quite as many strings as Booli, but I went through a lot of them (and combinations) to discover what sounds good on my ukes (this would have been cheaper if I had sooner accepted the fact that I'm a soprano player!). My Black Bear soprano, for example, sounds by far the best with the Living Water strings (it also came with them, so the previous owner had apparently arrived at the same conclusion), whereas my vintage Lyon&Healy soprano only truly shines in D tuning with Aquila's D tuning Nylguts (which are substantially different from C tuning Nylguts). The Famous soprano works with either Living Water or Aquila Reds - it sounds completely different depending on which strings are on, which fascinates me. :)

Also, I used to think all fluorocarbon strings sound the same. I revised that view, though. I think they can be quite different.

worth CL to me are my go to strings. ive tryed living water and I didnt like them as much as others ,it was to high tension and really thick.
I love the light tension of the cls and thin string guage.
so to me CL>CM>livingwaters soley based on clear fluorocarbon. then again you must try it out for yourself anyways.

worth CL to me are my go to strings. ive tryed living water and I didnt like them as much as others ,it was to high tension and really thick.
I love the light tension of the cls and thin string guage. .

The C and E strings from a Living Waters soprano set are thinner than the C and E strings of the Worth CL set. The G and A strings are minimally thinner in the CL set. At least that is how it's with the soprano strings, haven't checked tenor sets.

The CL (same would go for the BL) might be worth trying with a D6 tuning.

I borrow the 4th string from the BL set for the 1st string on my C6 (linear) tuned baritone.

Hi sorry to piggy back on the thread question for Booli maybe would the Worth BL suit my Godin Multiuke? they are one make of string i've yet to try .

Hi sorry to piggy back on the thread question for Booli maybe would the Worth BL suit my Godin Multiuke? they are one make of string i've yet to try .

It all depends upon your preference for what you want from strings. On an electric uke like the Godin, Pono, Ko'olau (despite being chambered) or Eleuke/Teton all-solid-body, whose primary function is the pickup sound and NOT the acoustic sound, you are more going to see a difference in play-feel rather than TONE, because the tone is determined by the pickups and not so much any resonance of wood.

Having said that, I do not own, nor have I played hands-on a Multi-Uke, but would like to some day, budget permitting.

To get 2 sets ON TENOR scale, from the CL/BL which are SHORTER at 46" than the other longer Worth sets that are 63", you can cut them EXACTLY in half and be careful how you tie them on. I've done it numerous times,

However, the way NOT do do it, is string them up, AND THEN CUT THEM, for the remaining length will be too short for tenor, but the remaining length MIGHT work on a concert.

You really need about 22" of string length to tie them on a tenor, which is just enough for your knot for slotted or pin bridge, or tie-loops for tie-bridge and thru the tuner post hole and 1 full wraps around the post before you feel or apply any string tension.

Just curious as to what sets of strings you have tried, sounds like a lot. Are you having trouble getting the tone you want from the Multiuke or is it a feel thing. I recently bought a cedar/mahogany Multiuke and I quite like it. I have it strung low G and even unplugged it sounds nice with enough volume to play as is.

Hi DownUpDave , i've tried nearly all the Aquila Strings, D'Addario, Fremont , Martin and Ko'olau , theres only a certain few we makes can get in the UK .
I'm on the Thomastic strings pared with D'Addario Titanium , the Thomastic are a definite way to go love them , recently i've been asked to play some lead solos and riffs and have been trying a few bends and the D'Addario are great for that but as i said i've never tried the Worth strings although nearly all the Uke players in our group use them , keen to give them a go .

Hi DownUpDave , i've tried nearly all the Aquila Strings, D'Addario, Fremont , Martin and Ko'olau , theres only a certain few we makes can get in the UK .
I'm on the Thomastic strings pared with D'Addario Titanium , the Thomastic are a definite way to go love them , recently i've been asked to play some lead solos and riffs and have been trying a few bends and the D'Addario are great for that but as i said i've never tried the Worth strings although nearly all the Uke players in our group use them , keen to give them a go .

Thats great to hear about the Thomastik as I just put the CF30 and CF27 (wound G and C) on and I like them.

Top Bottom