Review-Kala Baritone Ukulele (KA-ABP-CTG)

Wow Vic, that GCEA sounds really nice and different than a DGBE Bari. Not sure I want one, but the volume of the big body really adds to the sound of a tenor's pitch.

Wow Vic, that GCEA sounds really nice and different than a DGBE Bari. Not sure I want one, but the volume of the big body really adds to the sound of a tenor's pitch.

I have strung a few of my baritones in linear GCEA and it is like having a super-super tenor. The longer scale and bigger body give a very full resonant sound compared to a normal size tenor. I always go back to DGBE but the tuning will work, just use a set of concert gauge strings for the correct tension. Tenor gauge strings will work but the tension under finger can be too high for some people.

Thank you. I like the way it sounds. I was hoping this wood combination would work with this tuning.

I have strung a few of my baritones in linear GCEA and it is like having a super-super tenor. The longer scale and bigger body give a very full resonant sound compared to a normal size tenor. I always go back to DGBE but the tuning will work, just use a set of concert gauge strings for the correct tension. Tenor gauge strings will work but the tension under finger can be too high for some people.

I have used tenor strings in the past. You are correct- too much tension.

This set is from Living Water specifically designed for the baritone with a low G. Much better feel.

I have used tenor strings in the past. You are correct- too much tension.

This set is from Living Water specifically designed for the baritone with a low G. Much better feel.

Thanks Vic for buying this on the forum before I did (very tempted). I didn't care much for GCEA on a baritone (too much tension it seemed to me with the set that I tried). But I can see why it would be useful.

Thanks Vic for buying this on the forum before I did (very tempted). I didn't care much for GCEA on a baritone (too much tension it seemed to me with the set that I tried). But I can see why it would be useful.

You are welcome. Glad I could help! :)

Top Bottom