Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidifier & case question

Default Humidifier & case question

I have both my KoAloha concert and my Islander tenor in hard cases. Both have the metal clasp closures, not zippered. Both cost about the same & appear to be of equal quality. Now that it's turned colder in Utah, my forced air furnace is on. My hygrometer says the humidity in my office where my ukes live is about 38%. Both of my ukes have Nomad Humilele humidifiers that hang in the sound hole. Both were moistened at the same time. I put the hygrometer in each case to check the level. I placed the hygrometer on top of the uke body in the same place on both ukes. The tenor is 46-50% consistently. The concert is 41-42% consistently. I added a second D'Addario sponge type humidifier in the concert case, up by the headstock. Still 41-42%. Why such a difference? I want my KoAloha concert to stay happy all winter, and wish it was more in the 45-50% range.

Is it the same hygrometer in both cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    Is it the same hygrometer in both cases?
    Yes. I have only one hygrometer.

Hi RafterGirl:

It's probably due to calibration. You are likely using low-priced digital hygrometers that were either not calibrated or went out-of-calibration after your purchase, thus giving you an erroneous reading. You need to read them against a properly calibrated hygrometer.

Cases can be inconsistent. Their lining absorbs moisture too. D'Addario sells Humidipaks which will maintain 45% humidity. They absorb moisture when over 45% and emit moisture when below 45%. A pack can last a couple of months or more, depending on the ambient humidity. Takes the worry out of it.

In a couple of my cases I run an Oasis humidifier and a humidipak. As Goldilocks said, "Just right."
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger." "Frequently Asked Questions", Evan Eisenberg, July/August 2006, Atlantic Monthly

"Never let the lyric get in the way of the groove." Allee Willis, songwriter

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." Albert Einstein

I could write a novel about inaccurate hygrometers, not really but I have had experience. I ended up buying 3 Caliper IV hygrometer used by Burgess Violin (goggle it, wealth of info on humidity) That being said if you are keeping your ukes in their cases when not being played anything above a constant 35% is ok. It is really low (20%) or huge repeated swings in humidity that hurt.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-18-2017 at 04:15 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
    Hi RafterGirl:

It's probably due to calibration. You are likely using low-priced digital hygrometers that were either not calibrated or went out-of-calibration after your purchase, thus giving you an erroneous reading. You need to read them against a properly calibrated hygrometer.
    If one is using the same hygrometer, wouldn't it at least be consistently erroneous?

I have two hygrometers. One I sits in the same room that my ukulele hangs out in most of the time, and the other is integrated into my thermostat. I pretty much get the same reading from both. But the one down in the room with my ukulele, I place it where the ukulele can't see it. That way it never gets nervous about it.
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-18-2017 at 04:46 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    If one is using the same hygrometer, wouldn't it at least be consistently erroneous?

I have two hygrometers. One I sits in the same room that my ukulele hangs out in most of the time, and the other is integrated into my thermostat. I pretty much get the same reading from both. But the one down in the room with my ukulele, I place it where the ukulele can't see it. That way it never gets nervous about it.
    That a boy Rolli.....ignorance is bliss, what your uke doesn't know won't hurt it. I turn the lights off so I "keep them in the dark". Don't want the ones in the basement to know I am cheating on them with the ones on the main floor.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    That a boy Rolli.....ignorance is bliss, what your uke doesn't know won't hurt it. I turn the lights off so I "keep them in the dark". Don't want the ones in the basement to know I am cheating on them with the ones on the main floor.
    I'll keep that in in mind if I take up with another uke.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Cases can be inconsistent. Their lining absorbs moisture too. D'Addario sells Humidipaks which will maintain 45% humidity. They absorb moisture when over 45% and emit moisture when below 45%. A pack can last a couple of months or more, depending on the ambient humidity. Takes the worry out of it.

In a couple of my cases I run an Oasis humidifier and a humidipak. As Goldilocks said, "Just right."
    So you use both a sound hole humidifier and the humidipack in each case? Do you just place the pack in where the headstock sits?
    Main players:

Soprano: Laughlin 2K | Maui Music Deluxe Mango

Concert: Collings UC2 | Talsma Style 3 | 16" Ono | Ono Pineapple | Blackbird Clara

Tenor: Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

Thread Information