Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidifier & case question

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I could write a novel about inaccurate hygrometers, not really but I have had experience. I ended up buying 3 Caliper IV hygrometer used by Burgess Violin (goggle it, wealth of info on humidity) That being said if you are keeping your ukes in their cases when not being played anything above a constant 35% is ok. It is really low (20%) or huge repeated swings in humidity that hurt.
    Yeah, I should get another hygrometer and see what it reads. I had to order the last one from Amazon. It's not easy to find them locally. Home Depot doesn't carry them. Maybe Petsmart in the tropical critter section? I doubt that I'm under hydrating my ukulele, but I'd like to make sure. Mostly I'm curious about the difference between cases.

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Yeah, I should get another hygrometer and see what it reads. I had to order the last one from Amazon. It's not easy to find them locally. Home Depot doesn't carry them. Maybe Petsmart in the tropical critter section? I doubt that I'm under hydrating my ukulele, but I'd like to make sure. Mostly I'm curious about the difference between cases.
    I think that if you get two hygrometers a similar maxim to this will apply: "A person with one watch knows what time it is, a person with two watches is never sure".
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Current Instruments:
    Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted/Waterfall Figured Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Players Model - Tenor - Vintage Sun Burst all Tasmanian Blackwood

Quote Originally Posted by WCBarnes View Post
    So you use both a sound hole humidifier and the humidipack in each case? Do you just place the pack in where the headstock sits?
    Wherever I can find room for it. The body of the uke is where the humidity is most needed but the humidipak doesn't fit there very well. Cases absorb humidity too, at least until everything stabilizes. Here in the midwest my indoor ambient humidity runs about 40% due to a/c. In winter we struggle to keep it near 25% because of heat and the dry, cold air. I'm a belt & suspenders kind of guy. I only do this for a KoAloha 6-string and my custom because of the volume of the bodies. Concerts do OK with a single Oasis.
    Last edited by PereBourik; 10-20-2017 at 03:23 AM.
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger." "Frequently Asked Questions", Evan Eisenberg, July/August 2006, Atlantic Monthly

"Never let the lyric get in the way of the groove." Allee Willis, songwriter

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." Albert Einstein

Could also be the wood in the uke.
    I admit I have no basis to prove this, but it seems a softwood would absorb more than a hardwood.
    I've always wondered if finishing the inside would really adversely affect the tone.
    It seems it would seal the wood, and help with fluctuations, but certainly I cant be the first to wonder, and it's not done.

I keep my Kanile'a in a hard case with an oasis humidifier in the sound hole, fill once a week. It's very dry in AZ most of the time, single digit humidity. 2 1/2 years now with no problems. I don't even have a hygrometer. And I have an Islander AC-4 (laminate) hanging on the wall for 2+ years, no problems with it either, other than some sharp fret ends, which I filed down.
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 10-20-2017 at 06:14 AM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    I admit I have no basis to prove this, but it seems a softwood would absorb more than a hardwood.
    I've always wondered if finishing the inside would really adversely affect the tone.
    It seems it would seal the wood, and help with fluctuations, but certainly I cant be the first to wonder, and it's not done.
    I've wondered about that too, but never looked much into it. I did a quick search and found some discussion on the topic.
    Here's a really good one with some respected builders involved:
    http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=202066

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    Just an observation but I know a number of luthiers who seal the inside of the Ukes they build to stop moister incursion.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Current Instruments:
    Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted/Waterfall Figured Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Players Model - Tenor - Vintage Sun Burst all Tasmanian Blackwood

Thread Information