A DeVine Expression

Peace Train

Reaction score
THE STORY:

I was recently told the story of a teacher who gave his students gifts at the end of his lessons. One year, no matter how advanced or inexperienced the student, each received a thorn with the teacher saying, "This is your most important gift to date."

The students panicked, and over the ensuing months contemplated what the teacher meant by such a 'gift.'

Upon returning the following year, the teacher presented each student with a flower. When questioned about the thorn, the teacher explained its purpose was to clear the self from all the feelings which would keep the students from experiencing the utter beauty of the flower.

THE BACKSTORY:

With most musical instruments, I found the search to be a personal one, even more so when commissioning a custom. I did my due diligence and knew what made my heart sing, but a year on the waiting list when I began questioning whether to go through with it (along with dilemmas of life in general) it was because I'd been holding a longtime thorn of my own. I just kept listening to the small voice urging me on, and I'm really glad I did! The creative process of getting this uke off the ground has been such a liberating and rewarding experience.

THE SPARK:

I sent drawings to Eric with the goal of keeping things simple and elegant to match the aesthetics of his ukes. He confirmed the inlay design I was already leaning toward, and guided me through the rest of the selection process. Even though we're both perfectionists when it comes to design, I can't say enough about Eric's patience and understanding. He's genuine and fun to work with.

Next time, I'm holding out for marble from the Taj Mahal...or maybe something more exotic.

DEVINE 1.jpg

THE SONG:

This uke could've been birthed from virtually any tonewood...as long as it's Koa. What can I say, the all-Koa sound really speaks to me.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.20.28 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.20.02 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.19.42 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.19.04 PM.jpg

Last edited:
THE REVELATION:

I quickly came to realize how blessed I was to witness the creation of such a beautiful instrument. These photos arrived the same day I was told the story of the thorn and flower. That's when it dawned on me: The uke Eric's building is my flower.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.28.51 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.29.25 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.29.57 PM.jpg

THE ROSETTE:

I wanted something a little different to set off the rosette, but I also wanted to stay with an offset sound hole knowing there's not much room to work with. After discussing the possibilities of what would and wouldn't work, a decision was made.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.30.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.31.23 PM.jpg

Will post more pics as I get them

Last edited:
Thats some nice koa. I was lucky enough to try one of his baritones owned by a local UU member...I could have spent hours with it.

Adam

What a great allegorical story and what a beautifully crafted instrument. It is such a gift to be fortunate enough to be involved in the development process of your own instrument.

Very nice. Can't wait to see the finish product and hear your creation. I've seen some pretty nice ukulele from this builder. Never played one but hope to one day. I will be watching for more congratulations

Awesome! Looks really nice

What a great allegorical story and what a beautifully crafted instrument. It is such a gift to be fortunate enough to be involved in the development process of your own instrument.

Thank you hollisdwyer, sometimes a story like that helps put things in perspective. What a rewarding experience it's been!

Awesome. I can't wait to see/hear this one completed. I love the sound of Eric's instruments. I am also on his list for a build and I can't wait to go through the process.

My married last name is Devine. I've been lusting for a DeVine uke since I first discovered them. I can't wait to see your instrument once it's complete.

Congratulations on the build! I have met Eric and sampled a few of his works, they are sublime.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Awesome build, is that Mother of Curl Koa?

So pretty! Love the rosette! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks everyone, I'm usually pretty good at being patient, but the excitement's getting hard to contain!

Awesome. I can't wait to see/hear this one completed. I love the sound of Eric's instruments. I am also on his list for a build and I can't wait to go through the process.
Ah yes, the sound! Add in playabiity, creativity, and attention to detail. That's what put me over the edge.

Let us know when it happens. It's a fun process, you're in for a treat.

My married last name is Devine. I've been lusting for a DeVine uke since I first discovered them. I can't wait to see your instrument once it's complete.
The DeVine family is certainly growing one way or another. Plus, an ukulele with your name on it? How can you resist! ;)

Congratulations on the build! I have met Eric and sampled a few of his works, they are sublime.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Thanks Pueo, you put me over the edge. Now I'm even more excited for the finished build! :)

. . .

Last edited:
Congratulations on the amazing build, Eric is just as amazing
Thanks Stan! I knew it was a good fit when he and I first spoke way back when. Great energy and a chill vibe.

Awesome build, is that Mother of Curl Koa?
Thanks coolcow, I think I asked the same thing. It's not, but I fell in love with this set from the start!

So pretty! Love the rosette! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thank you Chopped Liver, I can't either. Love your Einstein quote by the way, I'm putting it on my wall! :)

Top Bottom