A DeVine Expression

THE INLAY:

The Hibiscus is the state flower of the islands and has always spoken to me. I played with the design to make sure there was a prominent feature on frets 10 - 12 - 15 - 17. I wanted white. Eric thought Koa. He pulled it off with flying colors.

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

"Nothing says Hawaii like a Hawaiian shirt...er, Hibiscus flower."

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow, Peace Train, this is gonna be one special uke. From a special luthier. For a special uker.

What a gift to be involved, even in a small way, in the creation of a beautiful musical instrument. Thanks for sharing your journey.

I agree about Eric, Stan. I'm truly fortunate to have such a nice instrument being made.

Nickie and hollisdwyer, thank you both for such kind words. It's overwhelming to see the magic unfold. So grateful to be a part of it, to know it's headed my way.

More pics coming up . . .

THE PROGRESS:

Working with another from a distance is often a lesson in communication, understanding, and letting go. Before last week's UGH show, Eric shared his thoughts on the 'critical thinking' that can take away from the healing powers of music, and the overall enjoyment of being able to lose yourself in playing, which is the goal in the first place. Always the insightful conversation and a collaboration process for sure. Getting ready for the lacquer!

IMG_9967.jpgIMG_9968.jpgIMG_9970.jpgIMG_9971.jpg

This really is shaping up to be a wonderful ukulele. I had the pleasure of playing a baritone that Eric built for a friend. It was a stunning instrument in everyway, shape and form with a sound to match. You are really in for a treat when you get this in your hands

Do you know if this is the same Koa that Eric used for that Green Bamboo inlay ukulele he finished about 6 weeks ago? It does look similar in the coloring.

This really is shaping up to be a wonderful ukulele. I had the pleasure of playing a baritone that Eric built for a friend. It was a stunning instrument in everyway, shape and form with a sound to match. You are really in for a treat when you get this in your hands

Thanks Dave, I've been enjoying the build process, but really looking forward to getting some hands-on time.

Congratulations
I too had the privilege of “ touching” such a great instrument at the same party as downupdave and Adam
This will be a uke for life.
It’s a beauty

Thanks Brenda, you "touched" it a party? I need to start hanging out with you guys up in Canada, I like how you roll!

Top Bottom